Hanging basket ideas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging basket ideas

I was lucky enough to get about 20 hanging baskets from freecycle, not in the best condition but perfectly useable and I thought I would hang them both inside and outside of the greenhouse etc with edible crops in them. Strawberries to prevent slugs were an idea as the little blighters ravaged nearly all my fruit last year!

Any other ideas?

tumbling toms?
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Of course! They would be great wouldn't they. I have only ever grown cordons before but I'm up for a new experience. There are yellow ones as well aren't there. Hmmm

Comment

You can also fill them with herbs. Wait till the frosts are over for basil, but parsley, chives, oregano, all do ok in baskets. Handy by the kitchen door!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

had so many tumbling toms last year i had to put some through the dehydrator and store them in olive oil infused with basil.......... Still got 4 fars mmmmm... All of that little lot came from 5 hanging baskets

Comment

Do you just plant one tomato plant in a basket or two. I could plant some herbs next to it..

Comment

You don't need to have the same tumbling/trailing tomato variety in various baskets. Pick and grow a few from the choice of Tumbling Tom Red/Yellow, Tumbler F1, Balconi Red/Yellow, Gartenperle, Masktoka, Minibel, Yellow Pigmy etc.

You can most certainly grow strawberry in basket and especially the alpine ones (Mignonette) are supposedly very sweet (therefore tasty).

I think few selection of low growing annual herbs might go down well in a hanging basket. You could experiment with mixed baby leaf salads which will definitely force you to eat them as baby .

Cranberry can be grown in hanging basket but needs ericaceous compost, ideal for making your own premium quality cranberry sauce for Crimbo turkey.

You could try trailing mangetout as an experiment but I'm not 100% sure this would work though. Can anyone tell me if French bush/dwarf bean would suitable for hanging basket?

Here's a website on container growing that also has stuffs for the hanging basket.

Container Gardening
              Last edited by veg4681; 12-02-2008, 03:33 PM.
              Food for Free

Comment

Thank you Veg4681. I love the idea on your web site of growing carrots (mini of course) they would certainly avoid carrotfly wouldn't they!!

Comment

Originally posted by cottage garden View Post
                  Thank you Veg4681. I love the idea on your web site of growing carrots (mini of course) they would certainly avoid carrotfly wouldn't they!!
                  Sorry I don't have a website , must be someone else blog .
                  Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post

Here's a website on container growing that also has stuffs for the hanging basket.

Container Gardening
                    I'm not going mad, am I?!?!

Comment

Whatever you grow, you'll need to keep it really well watered - hanging baskets dry out PDQ
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Two_sheds has hit the proverbial nail on the head...

Baskets have little depth of compost, and this makes them a tricky environment for growing vegetables and fruit. Do whatever you can to keep the growing media moist - add those gel granule things and coarse seaweed for example, and use a good quality compost.

I've grown tumbling tomatoes before in a basket and they did crop, but I grew just one plant along with some tagetes. There is an issue of weight once the fruit starts growing - you will need strong supports. Despite the challenges, it is, of course, a great way of keeping of those naughty slugs and snails

Strawberries - particularly the small alpine or woodland varieties - are probably a little more suitable. The good thing is that you can always plant them out in the ground if you get fed up with watering the baskets and they should keep producing for a few more years.

Diversification is the key to your success - do lots of baskets with different things in each and you will learn what works and what doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                          . Despite the challenges, it is, of course, a great way of keeping of those naughty slugs and snails

Hmm.yes Maybe I should try planting my brassicas up there. Can you imagine, a row of baskets with a cabbage in each

Mind you, it would be like a table for the pidgeons

Comment

he he!

isn't gardening a nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                              he he!

isn't gardening a nightmare
                              a nightmae of fun "Experimenting every thing that grows in soil " gardening is fun thats why we have bad backs and green fingers LOL
                              Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X