Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamie Oliver's salad 'stuff'??

Hi There
    Did anyone watch cute little Jamie last night (Thursday) - and did you make out the name of the green stuff he put in a salad - something that sounded like ' agrita' It seemed to be .... well .. green and um... with short, thin leaves - would love to know what it is if anyone can help please.
    Have a nice productive weekend!

Paplay

i think its an italian herb
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

just watched it on sky+, its is also called Monks Beard in this country.
      Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
      Bob Dylan

Comment

I think it's called Agretti - very expensive seed though from what I hear.

Tricia

Comment

Agretti also goes by the name of Salsola Soda and is available from Real Seeds
          Vegetable Seeds : Salad Crops other than lettuce

I grew some last year, and it was nice. Jamie suggests it grows like a weed, but I have to say, some of the seed didn't germinate well, and what grew may have been attacked by slugs as the plants were few and far between. The remaining plants grew quite strongly though, and I've managed to save some seed, but apparently this is notoriously difficult to do successfully, and only keeps a very short time (6 months), so we shall see if it's any good for 2008.

I think you can buy Agretti from Franchi seeds as well, but as someone else said, it's very expensive. Real Seeds are cheaper, I think.

I think some other grapes may have given Salsola a go last season. Maybe they will post how they got on.
          All at once I hear your voice
          And time just slips away
          Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Oh I do recognise the herby plant but by a different name of Okahijiki (aka Land Seaweed) or Saltwort (Italian is Liscari Sativa Salsola Soda). I'm sure it's being sold by MoreVeg and Nicky's Seeds, see link below. Hadn't thought to try them out but maybe I could consider for future .

http://moreveg.net - Detailed item view - Oriental - Okahijiki

Speciality leaves and Oriental vegetable seeds
            Last edited by veg4681; 15-02-2008, 11:26 PM.
            Food for Free

Comment

The Seeds Of Italy pack is 100grams. Certainly enough to share if a few people club together

Comment

Originally posted by Chiana View Post
                The Seeds Of Italy pack is 100grams. Certainly enough to share if a few people club together
                Under what name did you find it from Seeds of Italy? Too many different names for it in Italian or Japanese or English .
                Food for Free

Comment

Here you go.

Seeds of Italy - AGRETTI / ROSCANO /BARBA DI FRATE
                  All at once I hear your voice
                  And time just slips away
                  Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Originally posted by muckdiva View Post
                    Thanks for finding it . The seed packet of 100g pack is £4.99 . But that works out 20g per £1 which isn't too bad I guess, is that still heavy doh?

Here are the different names for future reference:
                    Agretti
                    Liscari Sativa (Salsola Soda)
                    Okahijiki (aka Land Seaweed)
                    Saltwort
                    Last edited by veg4681; 16-02-2008, 10:28 AM.
                    Food for Free

Comment

Oh yes, sorry (Note to self: post link as well next time)
                      The Real Seeds price is 5g for £1.45. Without knowing the weight of the seeds, I can't figure out the other links, no idea how big they are, but still think the SOI looks a good price, even with the £1.50 postage

Comment

Thanks for all your help finding the Agretti/Salsola Soda/ saltwort/ Okahijiki/Monks Beard - ordered a wee pack from Real Seeds (didn't realize their min order is £8 tho - so HAD to order orache, quick brocolli etc etc to make up amount !) SOI is better value - but have read on another forum that it tastes disgusting - so will be prudent !

Thanks again grapes

Comment

I'll leave you to your 'disgusting' salad leaves (do let us know what it tastes like!) and wouldn't mind trying these

COURGETTE RUGOSA FRIULANA

Used on BBC Gardeners World TV 15/9/06 and on 'Jamie at Home' Aug 08. This very ugly but traditional Venetian courgette variety has one of the best flavours and lends itself we to dishes that take longer to cook as it's slightly firmer. A must grow variety.

Seeds of Italy - COURGETTE RUGOSA FRIULANA
                          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 17-02-2008, 04:59 PM.
                          To see a world in a grain of sand
                          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                            I'll leave you to your 'disgusting' salad leaves (do let us know what it tastes like!) and wouldn't mind trying these

COURGETTE RUGOSA FRIULANA

Used on BBC Gardeners World TV 15/9/06 and on 'Jamie at Home' Aug 08. This very ugly but traditional Venetian courgette variety has one of the best flavours and lends itself we to dishes that take longer to cook as it's slightly firmer. A must grow variety.

Seeds of Italy - COURGETTE RUGOSA FRIULANA

It's called the courgettes from Mars . Saw it and did wonder about it. Gives me goose pimple though just looking at it.
                            Food for Free

Comment

agritti

Goats Beard or monks beard.
                              Not used myself but I would predict its a perennial herd which the more you crop the more it grows.
                              Not sure where to get seeds but should be on the 'tinternet'.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X