Growing Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Garlic

Well here's what I am growing, I will put them in the ground when it defrosts.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Is that sown from last Autumn? Mine sown in Oct I think but they're in the ground.
    Last edited by veg4681; 19-02-2008, 10:41 AM.
    Food for Free

Comment

I have not seen garlic groown in that manner before, I thought garlic need to be exposed to a few hard frosts to get the clove to split, and then bulb up. I sowed mine direct into the ground in November and they are a similar size.

Comment

They were all planted at the begining of december as I was too busy to plant them in october/november.

They have had plenty of frost in the past week with temperatures down to -8 on the lotty.
        Last edited by crichmond; 19-02-2008, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Gosh

I hope you like garlic!!!

We grew the 'lot' from the Garlic Farm 2 years ago - we are still eating the stored from the first year, as well as all the green stuff from cloves saved and planted last year. It seems to grow faster than we can consume.

Now know what everyone will be getting for Christmas next year......

LCG

Comment

I tried an experiment this year, I potted up 3 indoors and sowed 3 direct into the deck. The indoor ones are now in the ground and are way ahead of the direct sown ones.
            Once I have the results (ie number of cloves etc) I shall let you know.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

YUM. They look nice and healthy critchmond. You should get a good crop out of that lot.I think you will be eating them in the green as well.
              "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

These are the remainder of the ones we grew last year.

Love garlic!!!!
                Attached Files
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

If they all crop you will got lot of garlic. Have you got any recipes for pickling some Crichmond ?
                  I love garlic too .

I didn't braid mine last year, looks lovely SBP.
                  Last edited by momol; 19-02-2008, 03:27 PM.
                  I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I absolutely love the stuff, I have been know to eat fresh cloves. MMMMMmmmm

momol try this link for pickling How to Pickle Garlic

Cheers Chris

Comment

They look really healthy sbp. Are you gonna use some of them for this years stock.
                      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond View Post

Cheers Chris
                        They're supposed to be healthy anyway, high in anti-oxidant, healthier than eating boring apple so the garlic pills I guess. I love the smell of garlic esp. sizzling in hot oil...hmmm.
                        Last edited by veg4681; 19-02-2008, 03:40 PM.
                        Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond View Post

momol try this link for pickling How to Pickle Garlic

Cheers Chris
                          Thanks fo the link Chris .
                          I use some small amount of fresh garlic (chopped) in our salad too, yummy.
                          If you got loads, pickle the small ones as it taste milder (not as sharp as fresh one) and enjoy your garlic .

Comment

garlic chips are nice as well, slice about 1 or 2 mm thick put in a bowl fresh ground salt and black pepper a squeeze of half lemon and put on a lightly oiled baking tray and bake on a medium heat until browned and dry, lovely as a snack.

Comment

I will try that if mine crop well but I don't have that much (only 40 plants, 20 spring type and 20 winter type). The spring type will be producing small bulbs which is nice for pickles.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X