heated propargators

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heated propargators

Back to heated propargators to use or not or to take the lid off. I put courgettes in on sunday evening and had to take the trays out yesterday ad they were coming through.

I am being to think it is damaging the seeds coming through that quick, would I be better off in the airing cupboard.

Marion

I use the kitchen windowsill. It's fast enough for me. The onion seeds I put in at the weekend came up yesterday (Wednesday).
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Last year I grow all seeds by sowing inside without any propagator and it work. Only this year I start using propagator (for chili, pepper & aubergine). They do shorten the germination time by half but If you carefully plan it, there is no need for propagator really (just my own opinion as I kind of thinking mine is not needed after all).
      I think you can open the lid once they germinated but isn't it too early for a courgette ?
      They need warm and lots of sunshine to grow.
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

just pushing the boundries with courgettes, will put in polytunnel and cover if need , have a few spare seed.

Last year the old market gardener had his runner beans planted in the tunnel last february and grew loads, now I keep trying different things. I have 6 runner beans plants coming up will watch him to see when he plants. It is quite funny down our allotment with everyone watching each other to see who doing what.

Marion

Comment

I love experimenting too . Good luck with it.

Btw Kittykat, I found the link about germination and its optimum temperature, have a look at the vegging out .
          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I've grown courgettes and squash seedlings in my propagator. Didn't realise that they'd come up so big and quick.

Now I'm wandering what to do with them as the windowsills are still very cold.

If I turn off the heat, now they have the beginings of true leaves, will they stress ?

Comment

I only use a heated propogator for peppers, aubergines and chillies. Use an unheated one for toms and cucs and just sow straight into pots for beans, courgettes etc etc.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Here in Yorkshire I wouldn't put squashes and courgettes into the ground until Mid May at the earliest as they will collapse if they get frosted even slightly. I think you've maybe jumped the gun with these. Try again sowing them in late April. You won't need a propagator either - just a pot covered with glass or plastic.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have my heated propagator cover (& also vents) closed all the time as it's always put to use to germinate seeds but once they've germinated they're taken out and harden off in the unheated greenhouse. I have one courgette seedlings doing just fine. Germination is superfast but heated propagator can produce inferior seedlings no doubt which is why I sort them quickly but you have to accept that your seedlings will be tiny but I see no way out that is affordable.
                  Food for Free

Comment

Hey Flummary

How east is east and what's the weather like.

In in North Yorks near Grassington on a very windy hill

I'm searching for a supplier of bubble wrap that is wide enough to cover my house and surrounding garden

Comment

I have just bought a new propagator, I can add panels to make it quite tall. I am hoping that I will be able to start my marrow, squash etc. in there, then knock the temp back to a gentle simmer and grow them on, putting them in cold greenhouse when weather is warmer, finally planting out in about may. Bought some of those plastic bell cloches to cover them when planted outside.....as they get a bashing from the wind and cold. They worked very well last year.
                      It's all about trying it out i'm afraid.....good luck and keep us updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Maf View Post
                        Hey Flummary

How east is east and what's the weather like.

In in North Yorks near Grassington on a very windy hill

I'm searching for a supplier of bubble wrap that is wide enough to cover my house and surrounding garden
                        Maf, if you have room indoors you can keep potting up the plants until they're in tomato size (or bigger) pots, but if you try and put them out into anything unheated before end of April, they'll struggle I think. (Unless we have a really mad April like last year, then they might survive with a fleece cover overnight) I know it's hard to let your precious seedlings die, but don't spend too much time coddling them trying to get them to survive, you can always re-sow in April They definately don't want to be taking up space in the propogator, just to keep them alive
                        Good luck

Comment

Hi - Got a new heated one myself

I left the lid on and now have a triffid farm within days, they look leggy and a bit of a waste really. Shame but it is the first time I have used it and you sometimes have to learn from mistake!

Will use it again,but will take the lid straight off as soon as the seeds come through

Comment

One of the best things about working on gardening magazines is that you get sent a lot of free kit and so I've tried a few different propagators over the years and I really think the long, thin windowsill ones are most useful.

As soon as you've got seedlings that are large enough to pot on then you've got another little tray ready to sow with something new.

The most important thing to do is remember that heated propagators are a great tool for getting seeds to germinate but that they are not a good place to raise seedlings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X