Disposed Seeds Germinating in Compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposed Seeds Germinating in Compost

Does this ever happen to you? When seeds failed to germinate, I emptied the contents of the pots to mix them with other compost only to find later pale seedlings inside the compost . Are they usable? So far I've tried rescuing two but no idea what plants they are until they grow bigger I guess. I may have been hasty in giving up on them but it just goes to show how persistent they can get after you've given up on them . I thnk they're also appearing in other pots as I tend to recycle the compost for repotting.
    Last edited by veg4681; 21-02-2008, 04:49 PM.
    Food for Free

Oh yes!!! Isn't it a pain? I also get seeds germinating from rotting tomatoes etc that have been put onto the heap, and they always seem to be healthier and more vigorous than the ones I cosset.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady
      .... and they always seem to be healthier and more vigorous than the ones I cosset.
      I'm sure PW would point out that there's a lesson there that all us heated prop users should learn!

Prick the little seedlings out veg you should be able to identify them later on.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

No SBP, I will hold my tongue.

Isnt it sods law though. I had it last year with iris seeds. I gave up after a couple of months and reused the compost for potting on some blackcurrant bushes, only to find a short while later, yes, lots of iris seedlings poking up.

Comment

Last year we made the mistake of using our home made compost to germinate seeds. We ended up with 80 pepper plants.
          Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
            Last year we made the mistake of using our home made compost to germinate seeds. We ended up with 80 pepper plants.
            Gosh that's true, I throw my pepper seeds in the compost bin too but I tend not to use homemade compost for sowing seeds as they're not fine enough. Did you try growing any of the peppers? Bet you didn't have problem telling them apart from other veggie seedlings though as the majority ones would be similar looking. Same thing can happen with tomato seeds.
            Last edited by veg4681; 22-02-2008, 03:47 PM.
            Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X