Black forest courgette

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black forest courgette

Has anyone tried Black forest courgette - there's an offer in next months GW and I wonder whether to bother?

Also has anyone tried Ghost Rider pumpkin/squash?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

SBP
    Hi
    I got some from T & M as I thought it would be interesting to try a climbing courgette, not seen it before so have no experience of it but worth a try. They also advertise it as being a good container plant.
    Sue

Comment

Sounds tempting, as I want to grow courgettes at home rather than the lottie and space here is at a premium. Is the offer in the GW mag on the newstands now or the one out at the beginning of March? What's the deal? I note they're quite pricey from the usual seed sites!
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Its in next month...you can't possibly want to buy more stuff!??

Anyone tried Ghost Rider pumpkin???

Comment

The Dobbies have SBP - but I think the rotten season ruined the harvest. Black forest courgettes - are they the ones with the blackcurrant jam and layers of cream?
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Tried it last year and wasn't at all impressed but then again, my normal courgettes were poor also so perhaps not a fair trial.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
              Has anyone tried Black forest courgette - there's an offer in next months GW and I wonder whether to bother?

Also has anyone tried Ghost Rider pumpkin/squash?
              What's GW, please?
              Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

ermm its another gardening mag, with their own tv show

Comment

Thanks, sbp. Too much vino collapso last night.
                  Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

I grew Black Forest courgettes last summer and was impressed enough to have another go this year. They look very nice - lovely dark green and tasted good and were reasonably prolific too.

Comment

I sowed some Black Forest seeds this year. Only two took, which was a bit disappointing, as they were expensive. They have been outside for a couple of weeks now and, if they are going to do any "climbing", they haven't done any yet! How tall did yours get, Woofster?
                      Jools

Comment

We grew them last year and they were great. In fact it's the first time I've had any success with courgettes. Only one slight problem that's persuading them to climb. They seem to be very thick stemmed plants and getting them to go the way you want them too seems very difficult, I'm always worried I'll snap them. Last year had to wait until they were quite a long way across the ground before I tried to lift them and train them. I had to tie them in, they don't seem to climb unaided.

This year I have sown them again, including one seed I saved from last years harvest because they are quite expensive to buy seeds. The one I saved was planted first and that is already giving us fruits but once again it's heading forwards across the raised bed rather than backwards and up the supports. I went down yesterday to try and lift it to tie but was too frightened of snapping it off especially as it has about 6 fruits on already. I'll wait until it's a bit taller/longer

Comment

Thanks SMS6. nice to know I haven't wasted my pennies!!
                          Jools

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X