Your expert advice needed please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your expert advice needed please

hi all, just posting again, had email from mods trying to merge 2 of my threads but it got lost, so re-posting.

hope you can help, gardening club well under way at school, just wondering best veg to plant for children to see before summer hols in july? was thinking of lettuce, beans, potatoes etc.

any other ideas?

i can get garden watered and weeded over school hols, a bit of space, 2 raised beds 15' x 10' plus lots of other borders and woodland etc

Eeek not too sure... How about early carrots, radishes and salad leaves?
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Have you thought about peas or beat spinach?
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

Yes, best to go for salad stuff. Sow early spuds, lettuce, baby leeks, early cherry toms, radish, baby beetroot, chives etc.

Comment

Chard "Bright Lights" boy is it well named.

Courgette "Gold Rush" .. although this will produce more than you'll be able to use ! climbing French Beans but try some of the coloured pod ones "Neckargold" for Yellow and I'm sure the other grapes will be able to recommend purple podded ones.

For Carrots get some of the coloured ones just to show them they aren't all orange (Rainbow I think is a mix)

For Winter how about Brussell Sprout "Bridgette" it's suposed to be "the sweetest one and Kids will love em" ... mine didn't
          Last edited by nick the grief; 22-02-2008, 08:43 PM.
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

wow lots 2 think about, varieties anyone? cheap and cheerful, we're on a budget

Comment

I have loads of salad leaves spare if you want some.. PM me if you'd like some
              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                Chard "Bright Lights" boy is it well named.

Courgette "Gold Rush" .. although this will produce more than you'll be able to use ! climbing French Beans but try some of the coloured pod ones "Neckargold" for Yellow and I'm sure the other grapes will be able to recommend purple podded ones.

For Carrots get some of the coloured ones just to show them they aren't all orange (Rainbow I think is a mix)

For Winter how about Brussell Sprout "Bridgette" it's suposed to be "the sweetest one and Kids will love em" ... mine didn't
                hi NTG, posted my reply at same time as yours, like the carrot idea 'rainbow' we have a recycling theme, we are using old cds and have painted them to create a rainbow in the garden (might put behind perspex) one of the childrens ideas and we liked it. creating a multi sensory/environment garden etc etc, can you get them by mail order only?

Comment

I think they'll wilt in the post shortie
                  ntg

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                    I think they'll wilt in the post shortie
                    eh ntg i'm being serious lol!

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                      Have you thought about peas or beat spinach?
                      hi bw, thought about peas yeah, but not beat spinach, think cos we have soooo much to think about in terms of the garden itself, not only the veg garden but multi sensory etc, fitting in with curriculum etc, its hard to see everything together because so much to take on board, that's why i thought of posting on here

Comment

Originally posted by mrsc2b View Post
                        hi NTG, posted my reply at same time as yours, like the carrot idea 'rainbow' we have a recycling theme, we are using old cds and have painted them to create a rainbow in the garden (might put behind perspex) one of the childrens ideas and we liked it. creating a multi sensory/environment garden etc etc, can you get them by mail order only?
                        No I think they are available in garden centres as well. If you'r doing a sensory garden you need Lambs ears - I can guarantee the Kids won't be able to pass them without a feel.

For enviroment I assume you mean a wildlife friendly garden, See if you can get hold of a book by Chris Baines called "creating a wildlife garden" that will tell you all you need to know but essentials are water - not the obvious choice in a school I guess with fears of them drowning themselves but you caould make a pebble pond with big stones/cobbles in it and it will allow frogs space to breed and birds place to bath. Log piles are really good as well. I've just sown some mixed wildflower seed in plugs to take up the allotment to plant around the hedge if anything comes up and I have any spare I'll let you know and send them up to you.
                        ntg

Comment

ntg many thanks!!!! we have log piles for wildlife etc, bats boxes and bird boxes etc, was thinking about lambs ears for the 'touch' area as well, great minds think alike, have a lot to put in place and very little time,the children love the gardening/environmental club but want to see results the next day lol! thanks xxx

Comment

Lol NTG!

Mrsc2b give me 5 mins (okay maybe 15, my contact lenses are glued to my eyes with hayfever ) I'll pop down to the shed to raid my seed stash, I *might* also have some rainbow carrots as I grow them for fun for my little boy, but they taste fine too
                            Shortie

Comment

Hi Mrs C2b, what about a giant pumpkin for Halloween and some green joint (Corn) both easy to grow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X