vanilla growing ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vanilla growing ?

I was wondering if anyone has tried growing vanilla plants ?
    would they grow in england ?
    I would like to try so any info welcome.
    Thanks
    Debs
    www.johndebs.piczo.com

Good question debjay. Never thought about it before but I use a lot of vanilla when making custard etc. I will google and see what I can come up with
    Bob Leponge
    Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Well as if by magic

Vanilla Origin Uses Recipes

Cant do the link thing but if you cut and paste that into your browser you should get it. Would appear to me to be toooo difficult to bother with though!!

Oooohhhh it links automatically. How clever
      Last edited by bobleponge; 24-02-2008, 10:02 AM.
      Bob Leponge
      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Vanilla is an orchid and needs a hothouse to grow.
        Apparently not classed as difficult to grow but that will be in comparison to orchids in general and I find that some have been easy and other just die.

Comment

It occurred to me that they may be giving it a try at Eden Project as they have a greenhouse full of interesting crop type plants etc. Learned a lot from that link thanks bobleponge.

Comment

As deadwood says, vanilla comes from an orchid, but have never seen one for sale before - used to buy orchids wholesale, plus grow a lot of my own.
            I would stick to buying vanilla pods in jars!!

Comment

Growing Vanilla is one thing, curing it to get the vanilla aroma is something else entirely

Have a look here:

Vanilla Pods - Buy Online - Vanilla Beans direct from South East Asia

Skotch
              Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

Comment

Seems that they are available from: www.easyorchids.co.uk
                They are based up in Pontefract if I recall, not expensive £12.
                If you have a hot house and fancy growing one it could be worth a try and would be a bit of a talking point

Comment

There must be an easier way!!!
                  How did they come up with it in the first place, you dont plunge in hot water, dry in the sun, wrap in blankets and age for two years by accident!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X