Sprouts/Broccoli seed beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprouts/Broccoli seed beds

I didn't do too well with either my PS Broccoli or my Brussel sprouts last year. I tried from seed in the greenhouse but they would get so far and then just curl up and die. Eventually I bought some plants but I think it was too near end of planting season and neither have given me anything back yet.

I've been reading up about them and it seems they would be better from seed in a seed bed and left there until the time (and space) comes for putting them in their final growing position in the veggie plot - after the peas and beans I think.

My question is - as I haven't got any spare ground to use as a seed bed will they be okay in a container and if so what sort would be preferable?

I didn't have space for a nursery bed either, so I sowed mine into biggish modules and left them outside to germinate & grow on, in a shady spot. They did fine that way, we were eating the sprouts for Christmas dinner I don't think they'd like the heat in a greenhouse, maybe that's why they keeled over?

Comment

Thanks I'll try again but start them off and keep them outside.

Comment

Starting in pots is fine - I always do it. Keep them cool but protected from wind.

When you say that they "curl up and die" did you check the roots of those plants?

Comment

Brassicas are pretty hardy once they're past small seedling stage, i always sow my brassicas into modules, or a seed tray and prick out into large modules in the greenhouse or sunny windowsill, they then grow on for another week or so before being moved slowly to the coldframe outside and eventually hardened off outside before planting at the plot.

I wouldn't sow them in a nursery bed - its like laying on a banquet for the slugs
          There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
          Happy Gardening!

Comment

Originally posted by Protea View Post
            Brassicas are pretty hardy once they're past small seedling stage, i always sow my brassicas into modules, or a seed tray and prick out into large modules in the greenhouse or sunny windowsill, they then grow on for another week or so before being moved slowly to the coldframe outside and eventually hardened off outside before planting at the plot.

I wouldn't sow them in a nursery bed - its like laying on a banquet for the slugs
            That's just what I did with my seedlings last year but once I had them in individual pots I kept them in the greenhouse and they just sort of keeled over. Maybe I just kept them in there too long.

Originally posted by cutecumber
            When you say that they "curl up and die" did you check the roots of those plants?
            Not really, I just threw them in the compost bin, but they had got past the first leaf stages and had at least the first set of true leaves so they must have had roots. What should I have been looking for?

Comment

roofly maggots.

They cause young brassicas to wilt and die.

Do you protect your brassicas with collars round their stems?

Comment

Only when they actually go in to the garden. Not when they are still in the pots. Do they need them even then?

Comment

Originally posted by SMS6 View Post
                  Only when they actually go in to the garden. Not when they are still in the pots. Do they need them even then?
                  possibly, it depends on the level of cabbage root flies around! I don't bother to cover them as seedlings as their either in the greenhouse or the cold frame and only briefly outside unprotected. When i plant them outside i cover them in mesh or fleece.

To be sure you could cover them in a little bit of fleece when you're hardening them off outside. They shouldn't need anything in the greenhouse if the door is kept shut.
                  There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                  Happy Gardening!

Comment

Hi this happened to me last year i sowed some spring Cauliflower and PSB in just normal multi purpose compost in some cells and they germinated and i watered them every time i walked past them but i forgot to transplant them anyway i did plant them out in the first week in August they grew like no other they are now about 2 feet high i picked the first PSB last sunday and the Cauliflower look like i am going to be fed up with it before i have eaten it all so the giste of this story is you do not need seed beds the plants were in the cells for 5 months and by that time they were called stag plants i have read about them a long while ago any way good luck with your trials an tribulations jacob
                    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

@ SMS6...

If your pots are in a sealed environment then they're ok, but I have had rootfly get to brassicas grown in an open greenhouse (as in windows open).

Whenever something goes a bit weird or keels over, it's always worth having a good look at the roots, and the rest of the plant, to see if you can identify any problems.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X