To cold to chit?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
    My spuds seem to be taking a very long time to get chitting, they are producing some little tiny bits but very slowly. Can it be too cold for them?

I have them in a front porch area which isn't heated but does get sun through the glass - the spuds are on the floor so they don't get to actually see the sun (poor spuds )
    The spuds will be a lot colder near the floor!. I found this to my detriment last year with my earlies in pots. The ones on the floor of the greenhouse got frosted and died whilst the ones I had in pots on the staging survived!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for all the useful advice guys - and making me smile this morning - will probably not be able to think about chitting in quite the same way ever again......

Comment

It's good to have a chit-chat every now and then.

And remember - chit happens. Well, sometimes.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
          And remember - chit happens. Well, sometimes.
          and remember - not to let your chits get longer than 6 inches ....
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

Spare room...

Chitting rack...

Geo..

Comment

Mine are nowhere near that long!!!!!

Maybe I should move them outside into my plastic mini g/h as they must not be getting enough light!

Never grown them before so not sure what I should have been looking for, mine are about an inch long and seem "furry"??
              Lumpyjumper

http://lumpyjumpers.blogspot.com

updated blog - 15 Dec 2009

Comment

Originally posted by lumpyjumper View Post
                Mine are nowhere near that long!!!!!

Maybe I should move them outside into my plastic mini g/h as they must not be getting enough light!

Never grown them before so not sure what I should have been looking for, mine are about an inch long and seem "furry"??
                Furry is fine (as long as they're not mouldy!), potato leaves have mini hairs all over them, as do the stems.

Don't move them outside at the moment as if you get a frost you'll kill them. You don't need long chits, in fact you don't actually need any at all. Short sturdy ones are absolutely fine.

My potatoes haven't even arrived yet, so i've not got anything chitting at all!!
                There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                Happy Gardening!

Comment

Ok thanks Protea, I'll leave them be for now then.

Have bought a potato planter for the deck and thought I might plant them out in about 3 weeks time?
                  Lumpyjumper

http://lumpyjumpers.blogspot.com

updated blog - 15 Dec 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post

Chitting rack...

Geo..
                    Holy Chit! my OH thought he has worries!
                    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Oh dear I feel like aright dunce. Mine (1st/2nd and Salad) had little chits already, and I put them in the ground at the weekend. seeing as I always have rogue potato plants from previous year cropping up all over the place, Ithought they'd be tough enough.

Oh well - we'll see what somes up.
                      My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

Make sure you earth them up and protect from any frosts, they might be alright yet!!
                        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

My 1st are going well on a north facing windowsill but i was wondering if it would be a good idea to harden them off by moving on to unheated greenhouse for a bit before putting out or whopping them straight out . Do you think you would see any benefits?

Comment

Don't worry too much, mine aren't chitting that fast either (not yet 1 inch). I only have the bathroom with spacious window sill to do this as other windows don't have one. As Protea points out, it's not the length but the quality of chit that counts .
                            Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
                              Don't worry too much, mine aren't chitting that fast either (not yet 1 inch). I only have the bathroom with spacious window sill to do this as other windows don't have one. As Protea points out, it's not the length but the quality of chit that counts .
                              Tell your spuds to start chitting...

Or get off the pot..

Geo..

Comment

It's probably best to chit in the bathroom.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X