carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrots

hi everyone .well i have come out of hibenation so back with the questions.

i tried in vain last year to get any carrots to germinate n grow. so was thinking this year of trying to grow seperate in kitchin roll tubes. am i mad or has anyone else tried this.

also do potatoes grow ok on fairly shady plot.

so nice to have the growing season to look forward too.

My daughter has started carrot seeds off in loo rolls in cold greenhouse. They germinate well, but you do need to get them planted out before they get too big so you don't disturb the tap root. Have you tried growing a few in a deep pot in cold greenhouse to maturity? As for spuds, how shady is shady?

Comment

FIRSTTIMER
      Dont know where you are but down here in tropical dorset a couple of us on the lottie have carrots growing outside now, next problem is to kep the slugs off them

Comment

grow them in a water tank its realy good

Comment

thanks everyone for help. i get the feeling that im lagging behind in getting the carrots in so will crack on this weekend. i do have a large pot so think i'll try that method. as for the cardboard kitchin roll tubes i was going to just leave the carrot growing inside them, is that daft?

as for my shady patch for tatties, it does get filtered sunlight for part of day as rather large shrubs on one side.

one other thing while im all fired up to get going now.
          going to try the climbing pea Alderman for the first time as a space saving way of growing peas, should i be starting them of in cold frame now?

thanks again

Comment

Tip..

I read last year that when you plant them out in containers or large tubs, fill the tub with compost or top soil and then make long thin holes where the carrots are going to grow and fill them with seed compost. This makes the carrots grow really long and straight and it did the trick with mine!
            Hope this helps..even though it isn't answering your question
            Get going..Get gardening!

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
              FIRSTTIMER
              Dont know where you are but down here in tropical dorset a couple of us on the lottie have carrots growing outside now, next problem is to kep the slugs off them
              I have them growing in 'not so sunny' Tyneside...........but they are carrots that were sown last June, which are still as fresh as a daisy!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Haven't got my new season carrots in yet - so you're not lagging behind me!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I haven't got round to sowing any carrots either. Make sure you take slug precautions early - I am getting more convinced that people who say they have trouble growing carrots are being slugged before they spot the greenery - I have seen the slimy beggars lining up waiting for my carrots to pop through! (and they don't always leave trails when they visit either)
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X