Horseradish

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horseradish

I bought a horseradish root from the GC and iv planted it in a large pot, bout 18''-20''. Anyone tried this before and know what i can expect? also does anyone have any tips on caring for it. i imagine it can be left to it self being such a wild thing!

Hi your wise to plant it in a pot . It will like plenty of water keep it feed and it will give
    you some nice roots come the Autumn .
    The force is strong in this one!

Comment

Originally posted by farmerjim View Post
      it can be left to it self being such a wild thing!
      yeah Saying that being in pots you should feed them . I cant tell you how much and when >< . i have 2 containers infact old black recycle ones (cans/glass ) with 2 plants in each . My ones are in there 2nd year . i have feed once and are doing very well. I will mix compos/comfrey/watermix. 20- 30- 50 - somtime this week to them as I cut them down last year and just started to grow leafs again . i will do this once every 2 months in the summer . but then its only my 2nd year of growing HR . but as a rule keep your soil as it would be in the wild , i know its hard in pots
      Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Find a hedgerow or a disused corner of the allotments and plant it there.

Comment

I agree with Paulottie. They are ok in pots but it's easy for them to fill it and starve a little. As long as you are careful about not letting it take over, it will be much happier in the ground.

Comment

I have taken on a 2nd plot......just to have the horse radish plant that grows there!, and the wild damson! I have never grown horse radish- but feel like the others and that it would be better in open ground. It is invasive watch over it, if your are harvesting the roots this will help keep it in check!

Comment

As my plot is at the rear of my garden i cant really go down the planting it in the ground route. Maybe i could try a bin to get a better harvest. I must say though that i am really looking forward to the harvest because fresh horse raddish is such a rare treat now days. I can see the tears now and they wont be tears of joy hopefully.
              Last edited by farmerjim; 06-03-2008, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                Find a hedgerow or a disused corner of the allotments and plant it there.
                That's a damm good idea Paulottie! Guerilla gardening is the term I think!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I read somewhere that to keep it under control you should dig up the whole plant each year, getting all the root out, store the roots in sand, replanting the next year.

That's if there any left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
                    you should dig up the whole plant each year, getting all the root out
                    Bonne chance!

Comment

Only my mother in law will eat it, which is a shame as it's completely rampant on our lottie - I could probably supply an entire supermarket chain.
                      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                        Only my mother in law will eat it, which is a shame as it's completely rampant on our lottie - I could probably supply an entire supermarket chain.

Well if you have any going spare i would be more than glad to take it off your hands.

Comment

And so whould I, really difficult to get here in France apparently and my local herb grower supply has reported a failed crop for this year - double rats!
                          TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Would it be possible for me to send you both a few thongs? I 'd be more than happy to, but don't know the right time to do it.
                            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Now is good and I would be very grateful too if your digging some up. Bluemoon, I'll PM you and send a SAE if you like.

Tony, it's difficult to imagine how the crop might fail but there we are. I always bring it with me with parsnips too and thai curry paste which is also as rare as rocking horse poo there. However, I saw some Colman's (the best comercial one I think) for sale at Champion in Dinan (or was it a Super-u) anyhow, they had a whole Brit section.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X