do birds really pull onions up?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do birds really pull onions up?

Has anyone actually seen them doing it? I've found onion sets and garlic pulled out of the ground, and been told it was birds.
    However, this year I've sown sets in cell trays, and guess what ... some of them push themselves up out of the cells ! themselves! There's def.no blackbirds in me kitchen.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

That's deep, really deep! Who started this conspiracy of misinformation? 'S got to be the government ...
    Last edited by T-lady; 07-03-2008, 03:49 PM.
    Cheers

T-lady

Comment

I've had lots of other bulbs - flower types - which are dug up overnight and put this down to desperately hungry badgers and possibly foxes - we live cheek by jowl alongside a rural patch here - so we expect this.

Comment

The reason that birds pull up onion sets and shallots is they see a bit of the old onion top sticking up out of the ground is they see it as nest building material it is that time of the year .
        I acept that onions and shallots push up out of the ground but they do not jump about 2 inches side ways that is the birds. jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

i gave my friend some onion sets last year and a squirrel kept pulling them up. he was guessing for ages what it could be and then one morning he saw the squirrel in action, have you got squirrels near you two sheds?

Comment

My bird pulls up an onion whenever she makes a nice spag bol.
            Resistance is fertile

Comment

I've had Blackbirds, pigeons and crows interfering with my onions....and my squash's.

Sods.
              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
                My bird pulls up an onion whenever she makes a nice spag bol.
                Someone had to say it....
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Iv got a crow with his eye on my seedlings.Iv got them in the front and the cheeky begger keeps running up the pontoon for a peek.i have to shut the front up when i go out or he will be in and have them.oh i hate crows he attacks my cats too.

Comment

My mum raised a crow from a chick she rescued on a busy road. She fed him dog food by the teaspoon every 3 hours, night and day.

As soon as he was old enough, he repaid her by affectionately trying to put dog food in her ear. Once he was grown up and had got the hang of flying he circled round the garden three times, making a lot of noise, and then he flew away.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      some of them push themselves up out of the cells ! themselves! There's def.no blackbirds in me kitchen.
                      Do you by any chance have a cat?

To answer the question though, I disturbed a colard dove pulling my onions out a couple of years ago. The bird took off in a hurry and flew into a fence post. The up side is, it won't do it again. The down side was it took ages to cook.
                      http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Originally posted by megan View Post
                        oh i hate crows he attacks my cats too.
                        How do I catch me a crow? I want one
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've seen them do it Two Sheds. My blackbird pal is a devil for it.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Don't seem to have a problem with birds on my plot. There are lots of pigeons and crows, but they seem to be happier eating the seeds I left out for the small birds.

Steven
                            http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              How do I catch me a crow? I want one
                              I can send you a design for a crow trap !
                              Last edited by sewer rat; 31-03-2008, 02:11 PM.
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X