Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have u guys had a look on ebay - theres quie a few going

Comment

or alternatively you could do what i am going to do is get a load of pallets break off the top bits use the spacers as joiners you can get 2 strips of the top wood high on em and do it that way, if anyone understands that

Comment

failing that do you think british rail would miss some railway sleepers hehehe

Comment

Try a builder's merchant or timber yard. The scaffold company will realistically want to add a profit.
          Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Had a bit of luck today. I rang a local small scaffolding company and they sold me 6 x 10 ft scaffold planks for a tenner. I asked if i could go back during the season and he said no problem. Looks like lots of raised beds for me this year then.
            "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

or look in builder's merchants for the boards they use to put in lofts. I can't get scaffolb boards here but can get the loft boards - which come pre-treated tho I do give them a second coat of preservative - and they are very inexpensive, 4m meter boards, thick and wide, cost 7.20 euros each and are brill for raised beds.

But I use decking boards for my boxes in which I plant soft fruit/kiwis/grapes etc in the new fruit tunnels (recycled material except the tying wires) because I can then have them any depth I want them.
              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Just keep phoning around good buddy, i managed to source 30 in total. Local Companys are better than multi national ones. You may have to pay a delivery charge and sometimes they are too happy for someone to take them off their hands. My plot will be completely raised beds, measuring 4ft x 10ft and easily put together with 3inch coach screws.

Attached Files
                good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

THis thread is very timely indeed - will be picking up keys for new house on Thursday and will need to crack on with the raised beds immediately!

Will ring local scaffolders next week i think, i hope i can tie them to the roof of the car? (the boards, not the scaffolders, obviously!!)

Looks like i'm going to have a busy Easter.......
                  There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                  Happy Gardening!

Comment

In the end it cost me 30 quid for 6 x 10ft boards. Couldnt find them cheaper anywhere else, so those of you who can get them for nothing, I envy you!
                    A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
                    There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

My raised beds are about hip height as I can't really bend too well. My neighbour built them by making a frame using 4x2 timber, then using ply to build the actual wall bit, then lining that with some upvc cladding I got for nothing as it was offcuts. He said lining it would stop the ply rotting and would help insulate the soil too. All I need now is some nice timber to clad the outside of the beds to make it look nice and neat

Comment

Originally posted by Protea View Post
                        THis thread is very timely indeed - will be picking up keys for new house on Thursday and will need to crack on with the raised beds immediately!

Will ring local scaffolders next week i think, i hope i can tie them to the roof of the car? (the boards, not the scaffolders, obviously!!)

Looks like i'm going to have a busy Easter.......
                        If you ring them Ask if they have any netting or off cuts of netting . I got some years ago for free doing that , Didnt want for growing at the time was trying to get duck weed of my pond ( didnt work ) still i remember it being very fine and il be getting some this year for butterfly cages
                        Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

just one little thing - don't try to tie more than 6-8 on your car at the same time... we came back with 12 a few years ago and bent the roofrack
                          God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.

Comment

Originally posted by dandamegs View Post
                            Are decking boards a suitable alternative?

Raised beds seem the answer to a couple of issues in my garden
                            As Yoanbob said, I built a raised bed for my kids with Decking Boards from B&Q. It's 3.6m x 1.2m, and cost me £20. I thought that was an ok price, it looks great, the wood is already pressure treated, and the boards fit in my car

Comment

Thanks for all the tips here, definately going for this as we have small, useless borders in part of the garden that need to be sorted out.

Phoned local builders merchant £21.50 each 4m

Tried Ebay, no one remotely local.

Having a look at decking, gravel boards now.

Not sure about height, ground is solid clay and have lifted some slabs to make a bigger run, and will continue it along the bottom lawn. We get over run with Mares Tail, so will put membrane down first.

What sort of depth would be best do you think? No potatoes, or root veg.

Is this feasible do you think?

Ignore the mess

Comment

Originally posted by vegnut View Post
                                Had a bit of luck today. I rang a local small scaffolding company and they sold me 6 x 10 ft scaffold planks for a tenner. I asked if i could go back during the season and he said no problem. Looks like lots of raised beds for me this year then.
                                Hello Vegnut!

Any chance you can let me know the name of the generous scaffolders?? I have just missed out on ebay and am desperate to get going on some raised beds for veg this year..... Haven't tried growing veg for a couple of years as I just grow slug food......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X