Help with my spuds please!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my spuds please!!

Please be gentle with me, this is all new to me. I've been given a few Catriona seed potatoes that I'm planning to grow in my garden but I'm feeling a bit lost. I've had them on the window sill for a week or so and they've started to sprout, but when should I plant them out and how far apart should they be - the beds are raised beds so the won't get walked on - so am I right in thinking I can plant them fairly close together?? Also, do I plant them with the sprouts pointing up or down? Oh, and can anyone tell me what it means by "earlies"? Thanks.
    Last edited by Novice Gardener; 14-03-2008, 08:36 AM.

I have never had any thing to do with raised beds but i would plant them 15 inches apart do not know metric measurement don't do metric .
    the sprouts go uphill ie to the top .
    Earlies are potatoes that do not take as long to mature i usually reckon with the right conditions 8-9 weeks . As for when to plant any time now when risk of frost has gone about 6 inch's deep and earth them up a little bit when they pop through to protect from frost jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
      I have never had any thing to do with raised beds but i would plant them 15 inches apart do not know metric measurement don't do metric .
      the sprouts go uphill ie to the top .
      Earlies are potatoes that do not take as long to mature i usually reckon with the right conditions 8-9 weeks . As for when to plant any time now when risk of frost has gone about 6 inch's deep and earth them up a little bit when they pop through to protect from frost jacob
      That all sounds right to me. Good for you Jacob Marley re. metric. I don't do metric either - it has no place in a garden (or anywhere else imho).

Comment

Novice - have a scroll down this forum - there is a link there to growing spuds in one of the potato threads.....Hope that helps.....

(Don't give a **** about metric / imperial - work in both..... if it's a problem - look at a tape measure....... )
        AKA - BigMatt over at Chillis Galore......

Comment

Originally posted by Pieman View Post
          Novice - have a scroll down this forum - there is a link there to growing spuds in one of the potato threads.....Hope that helps.....

(Don't give a **** about metric / imperial - work in both..... if it's a problem - look at a tape measure....... )
          The whole point is: if you work in imperial, you don't need a tape measure.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X