Fertiliser - Container Potato

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fertiliser - Container Potato

Just been to Wilko, had no luck finding their own brand box of Potato Fertiliser . After reading up on several threads about the soil mixture for potato in container, these are mentioned as any one of the fertilisers that could be added:

Well rotted farmyard manure or
    Chicken manure pellets or
    Potato Fertiliser or
    Growmore

Would I be so worse off if I'm only able to use Growmore as the only option I've got with my stock of fertilisers at hand? I refuse to buy the chicken pellets as I'm able to get the stuffs free from the farm but didn't plan it to have them ready now. The last bags of fresh chicken manure went in the compost bin but the compost is not ready yet.
    Last edited by veg4681; 15-03-2008, 05:18 PM.
    Food for Free

VEG
    I have used growmore in my tubs with a handful of Q4 and plan to feed with a potash feed once a week when the leaves appear.

Comment

I use blood fish andbone, and chicken pellets.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

On maincrop potatoes it isn't recommended to fertilise until the flowers form, the logic being that any fertiliser applied before this time only results in loads of foliage but very few spuds!
        I will start feeding a liquid high potash tomato type fertilser to the earlies I have in pots mid season, probably about May!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          On maincrop potatoes it isn't recommended to fertilise until the flowers form, the logic being that any fertiliser applied before this time only results in loads of foliage but very few spuds!
          I will start feeding a liquid high potash tomato type fertilser to the earlies I have in pots mid season, probably about May!
          Been doing a bit of research on Potato Fertiliser on the Net and there doesn't appear to be anything special about it other than most propriety stuff has higher potash content (against the NPK indication). Any longer lasting fertilisers may be added to the soil which also includes bonemeal that I already have in abundance. I also have tomato feed and a box of sulphate of potash that I can call upon for later use. I shan't bother chasing after potato fertiliser then...perhaps the very reason it has been pulled out from Wilko.
          Last edited by veg4681; 16-03-2008, 11:23 AM.
          Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X