Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to add slug pellet to the spud bed ??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to add slug pellet to the spud bed ??

Hi Guys and Gals.
    I put my earlies in about a week ago and was told today by one of the lottie old boys that i should have put some slug pellets in the trench between each spud. I had heard this mentioned before but was a little concerned they would rot in the soil and the growing potatoes would feed off the chemicals which i really dont like the idea of.
    I have also seen today another lottie owner scattering pellets over his covered potatoes like you would scatter chicken feed and the another plot holder says to me "Ah wouldn`t bloody bother with them fangled pellet things youth" ??????????????.What do you do please.
    Thanks Minty
    " If it tastes like chicken THEN EAT CHICKEN " :- Kermit The Frog

http://mohicans-allotment.blogspot.com/

I never use slug pellets on anything. If you are worried about slugs, try growing a variety less susceptible. Grow 2nd earlies & earlies as they're in the ground less time and so are less likely to be slugged.

How many spuds do you lose to slugs anyway?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Have you had much trouble with slugs on this plot Minty? My view is that planting a few extra spuds, building a wildlife pond and a log pile, and slug-picking on a damp evening every now and then is just as good a method of control, and avoids the need to use slug pellets.
      Resistance is fertile

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
        I never use slug pellets on anything. If you are worried about slugs, try growing a variety less susceptible. Grow 2nd earlies & earlies as they're in the ground less time and so are less likely to be slugged.

How many spuds do you lose to slugs anyway?
        Hi SBP, i can`t say as it`s my first years planting.

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
        Have you had much trouble with slugs on this plot Minty? My view is that planting a few extra spuds, building a wildlife pond and a log pile, and slug-picking on a damp evening every now and then is just as good a method of control, and avoids the need to use slug pellets.
        As it`s my first proper years planting i do not have a bench mark. When i was clearing the plot i can`t remember seeing too many slugs but LOTS of snails.

Comment

When we used to live in N. Derbys we grew a fair few different types of spuds to see what kind might grow best, and what flavour we liked most. What growing a fair few varieties also showed was that some potatoes seem to get 'slugged' more then others. So you could search for potato varieties that are said to be slug resistant, or as I said grow spuds that are harvested early (as opposed to maincrop) - try lots of types see what grows well for you, see what the slugs like - they only eat some of them! Why do you have to poison the slugs and maybe anything that eats the dead slugs?
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 15-03-2008, 07:02 PM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Snails won't eat your spuds... they don't burrow into the soil. Do without the pellets.

If you MUST use pellets, they are best sown sparingly (just like the instructions say) and not laid down in a thick blue carpet.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Snails are much easier to catch, so I would be less worried about them. If you can get a pond in the ground in the next week or two you'll probably have frogs in it before you know it. Doesn't have to be big, an old butler sink or even a big plastic flower pot will do.

Slugs are usually only problematic around spuds when you get a real plague of them, and this is usually caused by the ecosystem being unbalanced by things like pesticides. It might seem odd that slug pellets actually encourage slugs, but many types are widely thought to be fatal to the slug predators too (ingested when the predator eats the dying slug) so your natural controls like thrushes, hedgehogs and frogs are not around any more, and the slugs thrive.
              Resistance is fertile

Comment

Whats the best way to deal with slugs on main cropspuds

Comment

Thanks. I was not aware that the dead slugs if eaten would kill what ever ate them.
                  I WILL NOT BE USING SLUG PELLETS!!!!. I love the wildlife of the lottie and beyond and have been a bird lover for years(So maybe i should have known).
                  It must be an omen because as i have cleared the last jungle area of the lottie over the last two weeks i have awoken at least half a dozen toads(not frogs) and have replaced them in their lazy state in to a calm and covered area behind my shed, i would hate to think that after all this i could kill them with slug pellets.
                  Minty

Comment

Minty! I think you'd better relocate some of the Lincolnshire potato mountain to Derbyshire! You know, just in case
                    I was feeling part of the scenery
                    I walked right out of the machinery
                    My heart going boom boom boom
                    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                    I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
                      I was not aware that the dead slugs if eaten would kill what ever ate them.
                      Well you're not alone mate - the slug pellet manufacturers sure as hell wouldn't tell you.

Toads eh? Must confess I am more than a little jealous! I'm hoping to grow some Natterjacks from eggs this year....
                      Last edited by Paul Wagland; 15-03-2008, 07:30 PM.
                      Resistance is fertile

Comment

Keel slugs.........the little shi*ts that live underground are the ones that attack spuds.
                        Nematodes are supposed to work but I think that a crop rotation system combined with keeping the soil in good heart i.e mucking and mulching seems to work for me on my silty soil.
                        I know my dear old Dad struggled for years to grow slug free tatties on his heavy loam and used to swear by planting his tatties in a coccoon of peat and sand mix.
                        I'm not advocating this but I remember him even watering the area with ***** fluid and dropping mothballs in the gulleys!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                          Minty! I think you'd better relocate some of the Lincolnshire potato mountain to Derbyshire! You know, just in case
                          Hasn`t that been kindly done already
                          Minty

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
                            Well you're not alone mate - the slug pellet manufacturers sure as hell wouldn't tell you.

Toads eh? Must confess I am more than a little jealous! I'm hoping to grow some Natterjacks from eggs this year....
                            Thinking about it Paul, i have never seen a Frog at the allotment, lots of toads.
                            Get a few Frogs in the garden at home though. Minty

Comment

try { Growing success Advanced Slug Killer }

Its safe for all birds hegs/frogs/etc... It uses iron and phosphate. Its not like the organic garlic granules . its just like a normal slug pellet . and dosnt cost the earth.
                              Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X