Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to add slug pellet to the spud bed ??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleugh -can't think of anything much worse to try for dinner!

I bought beer traps in Lidl this evening - now need to find some spare beer
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
      if they are edible... what about slugs?
      Bet im not the only one that turned white then green thinking about that
      Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Why not?! After all, prawns are just aquatic woodlice....

You could mash them and spread them on toast... or how about slug and mushroom omelet?

Europe is the only continent who's inhabitants don't eat insects and other bugs - I've often wondered why.
        Resistance is fertile

Comment

Going to stop reading this thread before I barf on the keyboard
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Why not?! After all, prawns are just aquatic woodlice....

You could mash them and spread them on toast... or how about slug and mushroom omelet?

Europe is the only continent who's inhabitants don't eat insects and other bugs - I've often wondered why.
            A fuw years ago i was in cambodia and tryed crickets was ok but alot like eating a prawn with the shell on . over there they do that too as i found out on an over night train to the border . was the only person up on the 1st class part of the train , and a woman come along with food < So i had some prawns {she was selling} sat down chatting to her and eating , Took the head and tail off like you do once finished she asked if i was going to eat that . well long story short she got stuff in . anyway heres a 1st paul go geta slug! cook one and let us all know how it was
            Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

I will, but I wanna know they're not poisonous first!

I had water beetles, crickets and locusts in Thailand. The water beetles were truly delicious. I'm veggie, but I think insects are such a basic form of life and so richly nutritious that we ought to make more of them!
              Resistance is fertile

Comment

My grandma first got together with my grandad during the Second World War. She was Maltese but had fair hair and my grandad (who was an Irish farmer turned soldier) fell in love with her at first sight.

When the island was under siege, she kept them well fed by gathering bucketfuls of snails and cooking them with wild garlic. They were supposed to be quite tasty but I don't think she ever resorted to cooking snails after they moved to England, even though though they had 11 children to feed!

Comment

Well im convinced by jeans post .bon appetit paul
                  Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

I've eaten snails a few times - thought they were quite good! Slugs would seem to be very similar, but then not all mushrooms are alike are they?!

Just noticed you're from Hythe Dave, I use to drink in The Bell!
                    Resistance is fertile

Comment

I've eaten snails a few times - thought they were quite good! Slugs would seem to be very similar, but then not all mushrooms are alike are they?!

Just noticed you're from Hythe Dave, I use to drink in The Bell!
                      Iv only been in hythe just over a year but you mite know my builder/labourer called roy I know his always at the pub works for a guy called jim goldling
                      Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

I don't suggest you eat slugs (yeruk!) not much meat on a keel slug anyway.....most other slugs only eat decaying matter and can be added to you compost heap. If you are going to eat snails you should put them in a wooden box for a week with only lettuce or something similar to eat to purge them of poisonous plants etc.

I grow through Mypex and also use it as a soil covering, then when peeled back i pay the kids to collect them up and drown them in brine. Beer traps are not that effective also kill beetles and I'd rather drink it myself then venture out with a torch on a damp evening you can catch thousands.

metlhydryde pellets are just wrong DO NOT USE EVER. ammonium sulphate is just useless as it disolves in the wet when it is most needed.

Slugs are not usually a major problem with early spuds, more with maincrops, and even then millipedes, wireworm etc are just as likely the culprits. but if you really do have a plague you might try the expensive nematode option as this gets down into the soil where they actually are.
                        Last edited by Paulottie; 17-03-2008, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Sat here eating melon pieces ......texture....snails.....euk

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
                            Sat here eating melon pieces ......texture....snails.....euk
                            I always thought the texture was more rubbery snot than melon, really snails are just a vehicle for garlic.

Comment

I once had to dissect a cockroach; brown crunchy outside, white wrinkly middle. For some reason the teacher seemed to think that it might come in handy in later life..... and it did, I tell the story every time there's roast chestnuts on the go - I haven't had to share in years.
                              Last edited by bluemoon; 18-03-2008, 03:35 PM.
                              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                                I once had to dissect a cockroach; brown crunchy outside, white wrinkly middle. For some reason the teacher seemed to think that it might come in handy in later life..... and it did, I tell the story every time there's roast chestnuts on the go - I haven't had to share in years.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X