Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cucumber advice

Dear All,

I have some lemon cucumber seeds and some cucumber Konsa - are these indoor or outdorr varieties, does anyone know? I'll probably start them offin the greenhouse, but can they be planted out?

many thanks,

Konsa are an outdoor hybrisd - I should have said! The packet says sow Apr-May, but direct sowing in mid May.

Comment

I'm growing Crystal Lemon cucs but am growing it in the greenhouse. Think they're an indoor variety.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I think lemon cucumber can be grown outdoor successfully as I seem to remember Momol did last year. Holland is said to have similar 'warmish' weather to London's.
        Food for Free

Comment

I've got some lemon cucumbers - the packet suggests starting them indoors but that they can be planted out. I'll probably keep them in the g/h though.
          I was feeling part of the scenery
          I walked right out of the machinery
          My heart going boom boom boom
          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
          I've come to take you home."

Comment

thanks everyone, 'specially Esrikanden who sent me the Konsa

Looks like I have the best of both worlds, one in and one out.
            x

Comment

I grew the crystal lemon cucumbers last year. Planted them outside when risk of frost had passed. I had 3 plants and could not keep up the the cucumbers they produced ended up making cucumber soup for the freezer, I found that it was better not to let them get too big as the larger they are the less flesh you get.

Comment

I grew crystal lemon cucumbers the summer before last outdoors and they grew well - it was a good summer, remember. I did start them off in the greenhouse and planted them out after danger of frost. They have a lovely flavour and you can eat them like an apple. They can be a bit prickly but these rub off very easily.

Comment

Sorry being late...

I grew Lemon cuke last year and they were great grown outdoor I even managed to save some seeds and spread to the grapes.
                  I love this cuke, funny shape and tasty (sweet and crispy,not bitter at all).
                  My friend grow it in her green house and it does has slightly better (softer) peel. Pick them before it turn yellow, during summer you will have to harvest every 3 days and they produce loads.
                  Enjoy.
                  I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Lemon cuke

Hi... its my 1st year with Lemon cuke, you say pick small what size would that be the size of a lemon? or wait a bit longer for cricket ball size if I pick earlier will they still be OK to eat or not yet ripe. Sorry only just started growing my own, OK with tom's I can see they are ready anything a bit exotic and I am not sure!!!

Thanks

Comment

When I grow them I prefer to pick when about 2 or 3" across but it depends a bit on how much water they've had. The skins start off pale and as they get older go a darker yellow. When they're darker they can be very touch and I either use them in stirfries then or peel them as I don't like them much (although the flesh is still OK). The only disadvantage with picking early is that they'll be smaller so you'll have less to eat

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X