Beans and Squash/Courgettes together?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans and Squash/Courgettes together?

Anyone ever tried this (or the proper version, '3 sisters')? I have no plants to grow corn but it seems like squash rambling under beans should save some space.

At my lottie I have a raspberry bed and behind it a covered mound of soil from sorting my allotment out last year, we are going to try and plant our squash through the membrane on the mound and let it grow between our raspberries mainly because my plot is not that big and my butternut took up loads of space last year and I thought it might keep the weeds down. Not sure if it will work but worth a try. My neighbour did the bean and corn and pumpkin thing last year and managed corn and pumpkins but don't think he got many beans but that may have been the weather

Comment

Yes, I do it and it works well.

Comment

I'm going to have a go at squash under my sweetcorn this year. Last year the butternut really took over despite me building a frame to try and grow vertically as well as horizontally, so this should save a bit of space!

Comment

I have peas, squashs n cucumbers- will this work anyone recon???
          I have no idea what im doin!

Comment

Originally posted by lottielady View Post
            At my lottie I have a raspberry bed and behind it a covered mound of soil from sorting my allotment out last year, we are going to try and plant our squash through the membrane on the mound and let it grow between our raspberries mainly because my plot is not that big and my butternut took up loads of space last year and I thought it might keep the weeds down. Not sure if it will work but worth a try.
            That's a great idea! I have a couple of similar mounds sitting around doing nothing - I'll try sticking any spare squash and courgette plants on them and see what happens

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X