Cornwall

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornwall

We are considering swapping our windswept high dales hillside for Cornwall, with the hope a of longer growing season.

Any locals on here care to advise ?

hi maf , i lived both in south humberside and cornwall and i remember as a kid my dad having to wait until april to plant in the garden due to frost and general bad weather but when we moved to cornwall frost was very rare and snow is pretty much not heard of.
    i live in north devon and i see about an extra 2 month on the growing season a year without cloches or polytunnels and we have had no snow in the last 3 years and only hard frost this year and none last year.
    the growing climate sounds great down here but there is certain things to watch out for if your moving down this way , It gets very wet and winding in the winter so gear up for this as it won't be frost or snow that kills your plants.
    The first and last frost dates for here are march and november but as i have previosly said last year we had none but got soaking wet through as did everyone else .
    Generally we see lots of sun and things grow well down here but the gardening books and seed packets are alittle out on sowing times as they seam to be more suited to yorkshire.
    to give you a rough idea where the climates i am talking about i lived i scunthorpe south humberside and hayle cornwall and generally the further you go towards lands end the warmer the climate gets.
    move to somewhere that is not to wet or windy and you should have no problem growing veg in cornwall.
    ---) CARL (----
    ILFRACOMBE
    NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I moved down to Cornwall about 6 years ago but as I'm new to growing vegetables I can't really say much about that basis.

It is rare for us to have frosts and definitely don't see any thing much of snow. I live quite a way down, Falmouth area just before you hit the Lizard

We do get quite a bit of liquid sun though ( I think others call it rain) and also we've had our share of wind.

I think your move should depend on more factors than the length of growing season, Cornwall is a long way from anywhere - well it is where we are. So consider your need for work, travel to relations etc, house prices

Having said that, I wouldn't live any where else

Comment

Seems like a long drive to the lottie tho

Comment

Maf ! What are you saying???!!!! Or are you not a native Yorkshireman....? Can't see why you'd want to go & live with a load of Southern Softies...
          Also, have a look at the climate change models - will Cornwall still be there if the waters rise...?!
          Last edited by SarzWix; 18-03-2008, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots
            see Piskie sob into hankie

will paracetamol stop the pain of homesick?
            No babe, only a trip home does that
            Unless you come from where I do, and then a trip home reminds you that the only good bit is when you're standing looking out to sea (Oh & the football team obviously )

Comment

PiB - my daughter's coming down from Benson on Friday - do you want to stowaway in the boot of her car

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X