Jiffie 7s

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jiffie 7s

Does anybody use Jiffy 7s for starting of veg or are they too pricy ?

What would you use them for if you did ?

I don't use them, too expensive for me, and too small. I just use modules/cell trays which I re-use until they fall to pieces! I invested in some Root-trainers from LBS at Colne as they were on offer & I'm trying them for the first time this season, but they're also re-usable.
    I wondered about getting one of those compost block makers, but they seem to work best with high peat content, so I've given it a miss.

Comment

I have a couple of jiffy 7s to use as I bought a little propagator thingy for my younger son to sow cut and come again lettuce in (it was the only thing the right size for his windowsill). I will probably use them for sunflowers. Used them a few years back for sweetcorn and found them pretty good but this year I am using fibre pots which are way cheaper. I never seem able to pot things on in time and I hope that the fibre pots will mean I lose fewer seedlings as I should be able to find energy and time to plant out when they are ready.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

I used to use them for sowing my onion seeds into but found that when I got round to digging up the onions the original pot had hardly degraded at all and had even stopped some of the roots from expanding into the soil!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Tried them, don't like them. Hold too much water. I use cell trays now, filled with ordinary compost.

Comment

I agree with Rustylady. They either hold too much water or dry out too quickly. I've got some to use up from previous years, so will start cosmos and nasturtiums off in them. And yes as Snadger says, they do not degrade very well. I dug up a few in the garden at the weekend where the nasturtiums were planted out last year.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I think they are a bit pricy for what they are, also a sod for drying out and/or going a but green.
              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Also found them to hold to much water. They rotted some of my mini pops last year because of this, so would only use them for flowers and stuff.
                "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Im using mine this year to start off veg, only because I got 1000 last year on special offer for £25

Got chillies in them so far this year

Hg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X