temp for toms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp for toms

what is the lowest temp in the greenhouse toms can survive in during daylight hours
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Pretty cold - I don't have a thermometer in my greenhouse but I didn't put the heater on in there a couple of nights ago (not having had a frost warning in our area) and although everything was white outside (ground not hard) the toms were fine in the greenhouse.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I read somewhere on here that they don't like it much below 10 degrees C.
      si'sraisedbed

Comment

Originally posted by si'sraisedbed View Post
        I read somewhere on here that they don't like it much below 10 degrees C.
        Yes, I read about it too and 6 C is said to be critical point (but for the establish tomato plant not seedlings).
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Mine gets hardened off very quickly (in unheated greenhouse) and they've survived certain nights below 5 before although most nights I tend to bring them indoors. But I never chance them with 0 and below. Same thing with all other vegetables except for beans (not peas though) that they really struggle and eventually die off in cooler weather.
          Food for Free

Comment

seedlings won't like it that cold - and depends on your greenhouse. Unfortunately mine has a couple of slipped panes and a crack or two so it's not as good as it could be and it fluctuates overnight, which seedlings definately won't like. As a guide our summerhouse is all glass on the front (with no cracks) and seems to be a steady 10 degrees over the past few weeks.

Comment

The point is that if you can't achieve the constant minimum of 10 degrees you have pretty much wasted the extra growing time you have given them by sowing early.

A January/ February sowing needs to go in a heated greenhouse, otherwise wait until March/ April. Cold conditions just stress the seedlings and slow the growth right down - they will die if things get too bad for too long. To get a good strong plant that will give its best you need to keep stress to a minimum and conditions optimum throughout its life.

Tomatoes, chillis, aubergines, french beans, runner beans, squashes, sweetcorn etc are fundamentally not happy when its cold - they may not be dying in front of you, but if they could talk they would be screaming at you to turn up the thermostat!

Comment

If it is a seedlings, just take them indoor during the cold spell or you might loose them. There is always a chance that they survive those cold harsh temperature but if they don't you will end up losing weeks of raising them.
                Good luck with what ever you decide .
                I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

i planted some tom seeds in small pots and then put a plastic bag over them and put the pots on a radiator. is this ok? or will they be too hot?

Comment

Might be a bit too warm, they'll probably fine on a warm windowsill.
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

do you think i would of damaged them by doing that?

Comment

Wouldn't think so, leave them for a few days/a week, if the temp is warmish (around 18-20C) and the seed fresh they'll come thru quite quickly. How long have they been sown?

Comment

done them today, also used the same method with sweet peppers, should i move them to the still?

Comment

I think I would, it would give them a more even temperature, radiators tend to be very 'up and down' heat-wise. I think if the temperature of the room they're in isn't too cold then they'll do fine. They're in their own mini-propagators too. Maybe move them off the windowsill at night actually, cos they could get very cold - I've just checked our BBC 5-day forecast and they're saying -2C at night! (So just keep them at an evenish temp, it's not difficult, honest - fingers crossed! )

Not 100% sure how long they'll take to come thru as I use a heated prop, which speeds germination up (not always a good thing!). But I'd think the toms will show 1st as peppers tend to take longer to germinate.
                            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 20-03-2008, 09:55 PM.

Comment

my toms are in hanging baskets in the greenhouse and they now staying in there. i was bringing them in over night but it wasnt working, so i now have a heater in the greenhouse its set at a steady 10-12 degrees. they look better already after there 1st night. they are about 15cm high and garten perle
                              Attached Files
                              my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X