will fleece save my onions?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will fleece save my onions?

Well, it's snowing here in SE London (and I remember when I used to like snow!) It's not settling yet, but it's coming down pretty thickly. I'm resigned to the fact that I've probably lost my potatoes (planted last week) and I guess the garlic will be ok, but will my onions and shallots be lost as well? (planted about 3 weeks ago) Should I cover them with fleece or shall I start again in a few weeks?

sigh,

onions and shallots are hard veg they should be ok. i have mine in raised beds but mine are covered by a clear plastic tent they have all got green shoots. have yours sprouted yet.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

If your spuds haven't poked out of the soil you won't have lost them. It's only when they get frost on the leaves that they suffer a setback (or even die!) As long as they're underground you should be okay. If they poke up, rake the soil up over them in a ridge. I don't think snow will finish off your onions or shallots either. They are pretty hardy. Snow is actually an insulator. Hard frosts are worse. Panic not!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Your potatoes don't have leaves? The cold will damage/kill any leaves, but if they are just spuds tucked up cosy in the ground they should be okay.

Mine are still chitting on the windowsill - I'm waiting till it warms up a bit.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

phew, you have all relieved me - I've been trying to wait till it warms up a bit before planiting anything out, but it's been cold for so long!

many thanks Two Sheds, for answering my Camellias question as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
            I don't think snow will finish off your onions or shallots either. They are pretty hardy. Snow is actually an insulator. Hard frosts are worse. Panic not!
            Oh that makes me feel better all my onions and shallots are in the ground with no cover. keep fingers & toes crossed
            Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

I reckon you'll be ok, Queeny.

Hasn't it been a cold winter in these parts! I think my broad beans and garlic are dead!!

Comment

I thought garlic required severe cold to get it going? My spring onions that didn't spring from last year survived fine all winter and we're eating them now. The chives are growing like there's no tomorrow
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Spuds will be OK as long as they don't have leaves above the ground. Onions are hardy so they won't come to any harm from the cold. Only danger I can foresee is waterlogging, causing things to rot!! It's been very cold and wet here, and snowing at the moment.

Comment

Garlic needs cold, but it's best if the roots don't get frozen

Comment

anyone remember

can anyone remember what a winter used to be like,from november till easter time,we had freezing fog and hoar frost ,the bare trees were all covered in it ,the whole landscape was transformed into a silver scene ,the other half comes from Wheatly Hill co,durham and can remember his late dad keeping a spade inside so he could dig a way out of the door,yes the weather is bloomin cold and horribble,but is nothing to what it used to be,THANK GOODNESS. the good old day,brrrr,suppose i have put this in the wrong place now,sorry
                      Last edited by lottie dolly; 23-03-2008, 11:49 AM. Reason: put smiles in
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X