companion planting gone wrong!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• companion planting gone wrong!

its been about a year since i last posted on the vine (not a big computer user). Any-hoo to my dilemma; I set peas and beans and companion planted between the rows with shallotts, garlic and onion, thinking the extra nitrates fixed by legumes would benefit alliums. I have since found out alliums are detrimental to legumes. Things have started to grow slowly, is it to late to move my onions etc.? Has anybody made the same mistake in the past and if so how bad did it go?

Hi
    Onions don't mind being moved; i often change my mind [did it last weekend] and moved onions out of a bed and popped beans in.

Although things are probably going slowly due to the cold as well!

Comment

thanks for the response Andrea I'll have to move my onions, all four rows of them, bah and drat!!! (in the absense of stronger expletives). So much to do so little time.

Comment

I have since found out alliums are detrimental to legumes. Things have started to grow slowly, is it to late to move my onions etc.? Has anybody made the same mistake in the past and if so how bad did it go?[/QUOTE]

Oh B*gger!!
        I have planted my red onions next to my broad beans. Do I HAVE to move them?
        Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

The onions will slow down growth; they won't actually kill them. I have moved mine but it's up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            Hi
            Onions don't mind being moved; i often change my mind [did it last weekend] and moved onions out of a bed and popped beans in.

Although things are probably going slowly due to the cold as well!
            You put your beans in already . You got me in a panic now
            Minty
            " If it tastes like chicken THEN EAT CHICKEN " :- Kermit The Frog

http://mohicans-allotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm sure yours will catch up or overtake mine!!!

Mine are under an upside down clear plastic storage box; and are an experiment to see if they survive this miserable weather. I'm sure something will happen between now and a potential harvest - it usually does!

Comment

I grew my beans and onions in the same bed last year and had great success with broad beans and runners but less luck with dwarf beans and peas I put it down to the weather, however I took this from the Andi Clevely book in the crop rotation section and he says that legumes and the onion family can be grown together as they like the same soil preparation. Now I am really confused

Comment

I put my onions next to beans because of the same reasoning as 'Andi Clevely', however evry book I've read has said otherwise. I do wonder what it is about onions that upset beans?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X