Help with cauliflowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with cauliflowers

The old chap I share my plot with wants to grow more cauli's this year, he says they will be fine to grow where we have just moved the manure from, is this okay? Will the cauli's grow in an area well manured? Juices from manure still have not properly drained away.

Help?
    Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Originally posted by allotmentlady View Post
    The old chap I share my plot with wants to grow more cauli's this year, he says they will be fine to grow where we have just moved the manure from, is this okay? Will the cauli's grow in an area well manured? Juices from manure still have not properly drained away.

Help?
    Cauli's need rich and deep soil. Adding plenty of well rotted manure in the autumn into the soil is a good start. The other thing with Cauli's is that the soil should be consolidated, so don't dig it over as this should have been done in the Autumn.

I am trying the mini cauliflowers this year no bigger than the size of your palm.
    http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

yes i read about the soil being compacted, think i will give the small caulis a go this year, last year I grew caulis in containers!

thanks for the advice
      Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Originally posted by allotmentlady View Post
        yes i read about the soil being compacted, think i will give the small caulis a go this year, last year I grew caulis in containers!

thanks for the advice
        There's a difference between compacted and consolidated!

I made the mistake of just hoe'ing the weeds off a new allotment I took over and planted brassicas thinking the compacted soil would help them. What happened was the soil was so compacted the roots couldn't explore the surrounding soil and were confined to the small planting hole I dug for each plant!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

When you plant your caulis don't bury the lower leaves as it will make them go blind.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X