Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pots starting to get some fur on them

Hi all

I have my seedlings in various breeding pots (flexi pots) and just recently the soil is starting to get a "fur" on them.

In the compost is Multipurpose, Perlite and a little home compost....

The soil is not (in my opionion) overdamp....the pots are inside the house and infront of a south facing window.

Any ideas anybody ?

Thanks
    AKA - BigMatt over at Chillis Galore......

hi mine did that last year i just put more earth on top,i got a bumper crop from my dustbin last year so it worked for me.i am growing swift,arron pilot,epicure,cordona,pink fir apple,i have them in pot bags and an old swing bin and a container in the unheated greenhouse,just make sure nor to let them dry out,i have just earthed up again as all of them except pink fur apple have green shoots pocking up through the earth,the ones in the dustbin are outside so they will take a little longer to start sprouting,got yokan gold to grow later.
    joanne geldard

Comment

Think JoJo you misunderstood me......I don't mean Potatoes.......I mean Plant Pots!!!

thanks for the reply though

Comment

sorry about that i do ramble on sometimes
        joanne geldard

Comment

Originally posted by Pieman View Post
          The soil is not (in my opionion) overdamp....
          I think the fur would beg to differ
          Try watering (when necessary) from the bottom, not the top.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks 2Sheds - must admit the south facing windowsill hasn't had the most sunshine in the last few weeks has it!!!!

OK if thats what it is then I am relieved - was wondering if it was something in the compost mix.....

Comment

The compost holding my seedlings is virtualy dry on top, that's the way I try to keep it, water sparingly from the base of the pot where the roots are. I could be told I'm wrong here but I think that the roots should have to find the water that way you get more root growth for a stronger plant.
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                I could be told I'm wrong here but I think that the roots should have to find the water that way you get more root growth for a stronger plant.
                Yep, I'd agree with you. Watering from the top just encourages mould and fungus gnats. The roots are at the bottom, so water the bottom
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I would personally reserve my homemade compost for larger plants unless it's sterilised. It could be this element which is the problem.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X