Bean experts! What's a landrace?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean experts! What's a landrace?

I was having a browse through a heritage bean catalogue and came across this term. I didn't find much useful information through a quick Google so I thought I'd ask you lot! So, anyone know?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Hello Birdie Wife. Landrace refers to domesticated animals or plants. Have a look Here

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Seems to mean a traditional variety but not one that's been bred specially - more one that's selected for its suitablility to the area. That's more or less what many of us produce when we grow on our best home-saved seeds. It's still the original variety but we've selected it so mine will not be exactly the same as yours.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Wikipedia! Why didn't I think of that

Are they likely to be hardier then, if they're grown to a local climate, without the business of producing extra-sweet peas/different coloured flowers/etc etc?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

I'd think they are hardier in their own neighbourhood as they'll have been selected to do well there. They won't necessarily be if taken elsewhere. For example, if I grow on my own strain of bean for several years then send some to you in a seed swap they may not do quite so well for you as they do for me.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

An area specific improved strain then?

Which would make it an AS-IS!(Smiley!)
            Last edited by Snadger; 25-03-2008, 02:15 PM.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X