Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I made too much of a mistake with my potatoes in pots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I made too much of a mistake with my potatoes in pots?

My first earlies in pots have been popping through the compost and as they've got to 2 inches or so I've been putting more compost on top. I've done it twice now but I've been covering them completely!! I've just read I should have left some growth showing If I stop now and let them grow to six inches before covering the bottom three inches will they be ok? The compost is about two thirds to the top now. (I will go out soon and try and uncover some leaves).

potted spuds

Hiya

I did exactly the same as you have done for a couple of years running before being told it wasn't ideal.

I still had a perfectly reasonable crop to show at the end of it all.

I am sure someone will be along with some more in depth information soon, but don't fret too much, and be careful when rummaging around to find your buried shoots, you don't want to be snapping them off

MrsB x

Comment

I don't think you've done wrong, especially if frost is forecast. By covering them up fully, you could just have saved your crop!
      Last edited by Snadger; 25-03-2008, 07:27 PM.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Phew! Thanks. Sigh of relief. And good to know I might have actually done some good!

Comment

MARTHA
          Remember potato farmers put the spuds in then row up they dont wait till the shots are showing and go out and cover them each day, I have had my spuds in pots peeping and I have had to cover them to protect them from the frost as I am a greenhouse short this year due to moving

Comment

I guess I'm going learn a lot from you guys in this my first year! Thank goodness I found you. I'm already planning to dig up some lawn for a boarder as was predicted by one of you the first week I joined.

Comment

You've done no harm to your potatoes Marthaclematis. In fact probably some good given this cold weather. It's hard to keep a good spud down. Mine do well in buckets. See some of last years.
              Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                [ATTACH]4253[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4254[/ATTACH]You've done no harm to your potatoes Marthaclematis. In fact probably some good given this cold weather. It's hard to keep a good spud down. Mine do well in buckets. See some of last years.
                How do you get them to grow in that stainless steel dish without any soil Alice?
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

umm yummy cant wait to boil my first tatty, i have done the same as you snadger with the earthing up and i can now see tiny green shoots agian so i wouldnt worry,roll on pulling time
                  joanne geldard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X