root trainers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• root trainers

im thinking of investing in root trainers at the mo im using cell trays and loo rolls. do they come recommended by fellow grapes.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Oh yes indeedy go to Gardening Naturally for a good deal! Much better root system on them.
    Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I think they're absolutely the dog's doodles, well worth the investment especially for growing peas, beans of all types, starting off carrots and parsnips, herbs, just about everything. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.
      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
        I think they're absolutely the dog's doodles, well worth the investment especially for growing peas, beans of all types, starting off carrots and parsnips, herbs, just about everything. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.
        too right tonyf i ummed and rrrred about the outlay but what a great investment, .now when anyone asks about a birthday pressie thats my first choice, but it's still loo rolls for my snips'
        this will be a battle from the heart
        cymru am byth

Comment

I swear by them for peas, beans and sweet peas, especially here in Essex where we don't get much rain - deep healthy roots can make all the difference between a mediocre crop and a bumper harvest!

They are about £8 a box but at the moment the Haxnicks ones come with free sweet pea seeds in most garden centres. You can re-use them loads of times. I cut out out a square of capillary matting and put it in the bottom of each tray because I'm lazy and don't always remember to water my seedlings!

Comment

rootrainers

Hiya

I have been using these for a few years now.

I wash and resuse the books, which you have to be a little careful with, but they do last well, and if you need to replace any, you can buy the books alone without the rest of the set up.

I have found a new style one in the garden shop this year, with a new green base with slots which holds the books together nicely so stops them opening, and prevents some of the previous problems with them whilst filling with compost (also has propagator lid).

I haven't tried them with carrots or parsnips as I didn't think they liked root disturbance and they seem to be extra fussy with me anyway

MrsB x

Comment

i have some old plastic downpipe which i was going to slice in half longways then wrap a elastic band round them. will try my idea along with loo rolls til i run out then buy some root trainers me thinks
              my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Rootrainers are great for long-rooted beans and sweetcorn in particular.

However, you shoudn't use them for root vegetables such as carrots and parsnips where the continouse development of the first root is the key. Rootrainers rely on "air-pruning" - when the roots reach the bottom of the open cells they stop growing and the plant throws out some more. This is the last thing you want for root vegetables. You will get stumpy carrots if you try it.

Wherever possible sow your root vegetables where they are to grow to maturity.

Comment

They're fab, it's not just the length of the pot, they're also SO easy to empty and the ridges on the trainers are supposed to be good for training the root development - don't really understand that bit but they are fab. Use them for beans, peas, sweet peas, sweetcorn etc etc

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I ordered some root trainer last february from Ronash. I used it to sow peas and they work very good. Give it a try and I am sure you will like it too .
                    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X