Desperate to plant out Brassica

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate to plant out Brassica

Even though they get moved to the unheated greenhouse as soon as they've sprouted, I notice that they tend to suffer from leggyness more than any other vegetables (tomato, pepper, aubergine, squash, cuke etc). Is it because they thrive better in cooler weather than any veg, thus the hurry to grow?

I'm sort of desperate to plant them out in their final bed. Has anyone planted theirs out? I may consider buying those plastic tunnel cloches (B&Q one) or even clear storage boxes but could I not just cover them with double layer of fleece?
    Food for Free

Are they really big enough to plant out yet? Could you not just stand them outside on a patio or shelving unit during the day for a bit and bring them back into the greenhouse at night? They will need hardening off anyway before you put them out into the open to fend for themselves.

Comment

I don't usually start brassicas til April, & then I sow them in modules and put them outside on shelves to germinate. I found that they weren't happy in the heat of the greenhouse, so they just stay outside from day 1. I'd do what Rustylady suggests & put them out in the day, in at night for a while before planting out - sounds like they might need to toughen up a bit

Comment

I am further south than you but have had no trouble with cauli, cabbage and sprouting broccoli germinating since January in a cool greenhouse. They grow consistently but slowly so I am not sure whats happening to yours except as you suggest perhaps too warm.
        I put my first lot outside in the ground under cut off bottles and they continue ok.
        Can't see why not able to put outside now with most forms of protection you suggested.

Comment

Hi Veg

My romanesco are just sprouting [yesterday in fact] and what I usually do is to plant some out, and keep some back. That way, if they are successful in the ground, then they can start to romp away and give me an earlier crop but if not, I haven't wasted a full sowing of seedlings. I've got one calabrese from the winter that I forgot about and it hasn't died, so it will be going out this weekend or the next flower day [depending on whether the weather is good or not].

If you pop them under cover, at least a few of them, then you can hedge your bets. My cherokee beans have been out for a week or two now, under an upside down plastic storage box and they seem to be coping ok; if they can - surely brassicas can!!!

Comment

Veg4681

It is not uncommon for brassica stems to be long - you may well have grown them too warm, but they can be very tall and lanky when grown cool in a seed bed too. Keep them well apart - touching encourages competition and they will push up even more.

As long as they are healthy, the key is to drop them down on planting. Plant so that the seed leaves are on the surface of the soil. Even then, some cabbages, caulis and calabrese will continue to grow upwards and have tall (but thick) stems at maturity.

You MUST harden your plantlets off before they go out or they will suffer considerable setback. Don't take a short cut now, or you will have wasted all that effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
              Veg4681

It is not uncommon for brassica stems to be long - you may well have grown them too warm, but they can be very tall and lanky when grown cool in a seed bed too. Keep them well apart - touching encourages competition and they will push up even more.

As long as they are healthy, the key is to drop them down on planting. Plant so that the seed leaves are on the surface of the soil. Even then, some cabbages, caulis and calabrese will continue to grow upwards and have tall (but thick) stems at maturity.

You MUST harden your plantlets off before they go out or they will suffer considerable setback. Don't take a short cut now, or you will have wasted all that effort.
              Oh they're very healthy alright. Just look a bit like a professional High Jumper ! The touching bit explains, they're packed close together and jocking for position. I guess the Brassicas don't need to be in unheated greenhouse at the time of the year. Gosh the sun is hot today, like Summer.
              Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X