Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sowing parsnip sed

Hi All,

Reference the bog roll for sowing parsnip seed, my partner uses this method and has always had good results, the method of sinking a pole or pipe is good to, she has never had a problam.
    Good luck to all your experiments.

Dave.

Comment

I raised my seedlings in Rootrainers last year and then transplanted in to the plot. Looked great until I lifted them - total disaster!! The first one looked like something from the Doctor Who Special Effects Department - the size and shape of a small football with roots coming off in all directions. The rest weren't much better, but I did manage to salvage a couple of meals out of the mess.

A fellow allotmenteer told me that she starts her parsnips in peat pots and then plants the whole pots so that the roots are not disturbed. I'm going to try this and see what happens. Fingers crossed!!
      Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Parsnips

Hi,

This is my first year at growing Veg, and I have some parsnip seeds which I have sown into Root Trainers.

Most of them have come up, but I am not sure how big the top growth needs to be before I put them outside in the ground.

Can anyone help me.
        Jo

Comment

Haven't grown parsnips before - this'll be my first year - but based on the advice and experience in the rest of this thread I'd say get them out ASAP!
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

To date I have grown parsnips using the loo roll method. There is one fundamental flaw I have found (2 if you include the mis-shapes that can occur): if the seedlings become 'leggy' and the weight of the head brings the stalk into contact with the paper or card of the roll, then they are liable to wither at that point and the top of the stalk dies and falls off. In effect, the paper/card acts as a blotter drawing the moisture from the stalk.

Anyone else had this happen to their seedlings?
            Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity

Comment

Daft question but when the seed has germinated on the kitchen towel and you plant it in the soil do you plant it flat or do you make a little hole for the root and stand it up?
              Susiewoosie

A novice but keen to learn

My Blog - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...s/susiewoosie/

My photo Albums - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ie-albums.html

Comment

Try to get the root pointing downwards.
                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Thanks I shall go and plant them now
                  Susiewoosie

A novice but keen to learn

My Blog - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...s/susiewoosie/

My photo Albums - http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ie-albums.html

Comment

If you're a bit dippy like me and pregerminate the seeds and then pot them in loo roll tubes and now some of them have got 2 true leaves, I'm guessing they should go in the ground ASAP? How many do you put in each hole? One or a few?

Complete newbie

Comment

I put some seed on a plate today with kitchen paper but I think I'll cover it with cling film now - thanks - I hadn't thought of that!

Comment

I suggest, that any beginners should just try the traditional method and sow there seeds now using the station sowing method, if you wish to use the more complicated method of pre germination I would advise getting a bit of hands on proficiency as it can be tricky with parsnips. Timing is everything!
                        The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
                        VISIT MY WEBSITE TO HELP KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN AFTER A DAY ON THE PLOT
                        http://www.thesoappatisserie.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Bramble_killer View Post
                          If you're a bit dippy like me and pregerminate the seeds and then pot them in loo roll tubes and now some of them have got 2 true leaves, I'm guessing they should go in the ground ASAP? How many do you put in each hole? One or a few?

Complete newbie
                          Put them out yesterday, one per hole.

harrybrew, tbh, how hard is it to put seeds on a plate with kitchen paper on it, water and cover with clingfilm, wait till you see tiny roots and stick in the ground? Not brain surgery is it?
                          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X