'gravel' for paths

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'gravel' for paths

not sure if this is the right place for this question...

I was wanting to get some tiny stones or bark chippings for my paths - I looked in Wilkos who do enough to cover 13m squared for about £110 which seemed a bit pricey. Has anyone got any advice about where I might go to get them?

You could try your local recycling centre for wood chip? Ours sells it for £3 for a large bag ( about 80l i think) or try freecycle?
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Are we talking about paths on an allotment or paths in your garden. Are they likely to be permanent? (on an allotment you can often change your mind about where your paths should be.

Comment

Hi, I have used the following "sportingsurfacesupplies.com" based in smallfield Surrey for bark and gravel for home use, they are really friendly and good prices, I think from memory delivery may be included in some prices but give them a call I am sure they could help

Comment

I would ring around your local aggregate suppliers and ask for gravel prices. They will vary widely, but they should deliver and it will be much longer lasting than woodchip or bark. Doesn't matter what size - 10mm, 20mm, whatever is cheapest.
          Resistance is fertile

Comment

I use wood chippings/shreddings for my lottie paths. Our allotment rep has sweet-talked the local groundsmen into delivering their waste to us instead of the council dump. We get lots of free fresh grass clippings too from the school fields
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

A few problems I can forsee with using granite chippings on allotment paths are:-

a) If you get mud on your boots the chippings will stick to them and you will finish up with feet like the honey monster!
              b) You are bound to get soil 'spillage' whist digging etc which will mix soil with the chippings and allow weeds to grow in them, even if you have a membrane underneath!
              c) Cost!!!
              Last edited by Snadger; 26-03-2008, 09:20 PM.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Also, small sized gravel looks exactly like kitty litter to the average moggy.............

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've used recycled tyre pieces, got them from B&Q - they do big pieces for playgrounds and smaller pieces for paths

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X