Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus in pots for a year?

Hi

Rather precipitiously I bought 3 crowns of asparagus this weekend thinking I could grow them in pots. But from reading on here everyone says they are an open ground plant and I won't have much success with them in a pot. My question is could they go into a pot temporarily for a season as I am currently having garden nuked and beds being built which won't be ready for planting for a good few months. or should I just give up on them and donate to someone on the allotments at the bottom of my garden?

Cheers x

How big are the crowns and how big are the roots? You can sow asparagus in pots, and garden centres do sell them in pots. If you use large enough pots and make sure the roots aren't cramped you should get away with it, plus they will have a good start for next year if the plot's ready.

Comment

Think they are year old crowns as it recommends not harvesting them for at least 2 years. I think I'll stick them in the biggest pots I have and see what happens, cheers

Comment

You might get away with 3 litre pots or find a bit of relatively clean ground and transplant them in the autumn/next spring
        Last edited by Paulottie; 26-03-2008, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nix View Post
          Think they are year old crowns as it recommends not harvesting them for at least 2 years. I think I'll stick them in the biggest pots I have and see what happens, cheers
          Yep- the biggest pots you have for a season should be ok
          ( sort of 10-12" diameter???)
          If they are a bit cramped, they'll recover the following year.
          Apparently they regrow roots on a regular basis.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X