Which Cucumber??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Cucumber??

I thought I'd give cucumbers a go but there's so many to choose from. Can anyone recommend one that can be grown outdoors and can I plant it straight away outside, or should I start it off indoors?

I planted 5 seeds of socrates type last month and only 3 germinated. But they are coming on quite nicely in my lounge as this is only place thet seem to like!
    "I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde."
    Dolly Parton.

Comment

Hi

I got a cucumber as a freeby called crystal lemon, and then I saw it recommended in the GYO mag.
      I know its round, not shaped like a cucumber, dont know much else.

T

Comment

Try Marketmore 76. It grow trouble free outdoor, heavy producer, and reliable.
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

I to grow marketmore without any problems,the outer skin is pricky,but it just wipes of,they can also grow some funny shapes and sizes,but taste nice and juicy,just tie it up to a strong cane as it grows,it will put out side shoots,i tie these in also,but not knowing if it's the correct way to do things,some one else will be on with the knowledge

Could cucumbers be replacing the P*****ps on the threads,ha ha ha
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Ah yes - get some loo roll middles - throw them away, then sow your marketmore in 3" pots in April. Mind the slugs don't get 'em!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

nooooo!

Anyway, cucumbers...

I've had good success with Burpless Tasty Green outdoors.

Cucumber are quite vigorous and sprawl wildly - they really need something to climb up. They are not able to hang on tight enough themselves to support their fruit, so tie them in as they grow.
              Last edited by Cutecumber; 29-03-2008, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I'm growing Marketmore as the popular choice for outdoor growing. Next year I'd like to try small sized white cucumber which Real Seeds and T&M sell as they're suitable for outdoor growing and they're convenient small size for eating as and when you want during the summer. I think Real Seeds do a good selection of outdoor cucumbers - too tempting! You'll notice that some of these F1 cucumber are extremely expensive as they're all female self pollinating flower/fruit breed.
                Last edited by veg4681; 29-03-2008, 02:36 PM.
                Food for Free

Comment

In the defence of the F1's, I got an absolutely enormous crop of lovely baby cukes. Three plants in a grow bag produced something 120 fruit.. I confess I stopped counting at about 80, though.

When you see the price of these little darlings in the shops, you know you've got a bargain growing them at home.

The F1 seed germinates well for me (so far!) so I don't feel I am paying for any duds, either.

The outdoor open-pollinated types are really good, but sometimes it's worth treating yourself

Comment

I grew cucumber last year for the first time (admitedly in the greenhouse) but I was most impressed. I have again this year gone for Burpless Tasty Green as it did what it did on the packet (not that cucumbers have that affect on me!)

Tammy
                    Tammy x x x x
                    Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

Both burpless and marketmore are very good outdoor varieties, and i grew both last year. I think that marketmore have got the edge with flavour though. very nice indeed.
                      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Mktmore and Retsina. Tried one of the new Jap indoor/outdoor ones last year but had such a poor year for them.
                        Start inside and move to cloches till summer.

Comment

Marketmore good as well as Telegraph - as people say, both very heavy croppers, I was giving them away and eating one a day and still had a few too many!

I'd be inclined to start them all off in the greenhouse, if you have one, or under glass, and then plant them out when they have about 5 leaves or so. I'd put a good dollop of home-made compost or a handful of Growmore (whichever your preference) in the hole when you plant them out. I put 3 stakes in the ground, put plastic netting over it and let the cukes work their way up it, tying occasionally.

I will grow cucumbers every year, so tasty and prolific.

Comment

Last year was my first time for cucumbers and I grew marketmore and crystal lemon. Good crop from both as they were growing outside, this year I will just be growing marketmore as we found they had more flavour and kept better.

Comment

hopefully growing:

Rocky
                              Telegraph Improved
                              Burpless Tasty Green
                              Marketmore
                              Wautoma

- Just started the first few of each off the other day, they'll all end up inside in greenhouses or cloches as they never ever do well outside in the garden.

KC
                              Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X