No announcement yet.

Which Cucumber??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always grow a lemon / apple cuc as well as a more conventional type. The thing I like about the lemon ones is that if you get a glut and they go over, they're delicious in stir fries also.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by King Carrot View Post
      hopefully growing:

Rocky
      Telegraph Improved
      Burpless Tasty Green
      Marketmore
      Wautoma

- Just started the first few of each off the other day, they'll all end up inside in greenhouses or cloches as they never ever do well outside in the garden.

KC
      I should be interested to hear how it goes with your Wautoma. It's the freckles type you see commonly in Asia (quite seedy too) and they're somewhat big, on the fat side with the girth unlike the shop bought long, slim, dark green cukes.
      Food for Free

Comment

I grew Marketmore last year too, started it off indoors but planted it outside as soon as the frosts were over and it did fantastically well. Loads of fruits off it, couldn't eat then fast enough - could do with some hints on how to preserve them this year - if it is possible to preserve cucumbers?
        Jane,
        keen but (slightly less) clueless
        http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
          I should be interested to hear how it goes with your Wautoma. It's the freckles type you see commonly in Asia (quite seedy too) and they're somewhat big, on the fat side with the girth unlike the shop bought long, slim, dark green cukes.
          grew them last year for first time -got them from real seeds.

attempted to pick them while they were around 5" - 6" ,If I remember correctly a couple that were missed turned into the shape of rugby balls, have to say that we still found them very edible and tasty, so they're on the go for this year.

KC
          Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Originally posted by King Carrot View Post
            If I remember correctly a couple that were missed turned into the shape of rugby balls
            KC
            Rugby balls , how could you have missed them ? I trust they're prolific cropper and reliable outdoor cuke.
            Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
              Rugby balls , how could you have missed them ? I trust they're prolific cropper and reliable outdoor cuke.
              I grew 2 "Wat" plants in a 4 x 1ft cloche and believe it or not one of the rugby cus was completely hidden by dense foliage and the other unknown to me was wedged between a 2" x 2" wooden support and the back of the frame

I’m not in any sort of position to say how they do outside as I have only ever got decent cu plants, which carry a good crop behind glass or plastic, we tend to get the odd mid summer gale around here and any outdoor cus (even very sheltered) seem to receive a permanent check in their growth.

KC
              Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X