celeriac advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• celeriac advice

I have 96 little celeriac plants, all about 3-5 true leaves and 2-3 inches. Any advice on what i believe is a tricky crop?
    Digging Doc

No advice as I've never grown celeriac, but 96??? BOY you must love the stuff!!!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife
      No advice as I've never grown celeriac, but 96??? BOY you must love the stuff!!!

thats just what I was thinking, only tried it once and didn't really like it.

(Sorry adam)
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I grew it last year for the first time and once the celeriac had started growing in the ground I cut the stems away from the crown just leaving the stems and leaves growing out of the top. Otherwise all the plants energy goes into the stems and leaves and not into the celeriac.
        [

Comment

96 does seem a lot Adam. It keeps very well. Love it myself and it makes great soup. It's always expensive in the supermarket but don't grow it myself as it's a real fiddle faddle. Maybe you should think about cutting down on the number unless you're planning to sell it.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

.from the good doctor hessayon:
            Hoe regularly and feed occaisionally - a mulch in early summer will help to conserve moisture.
            Remove side shoots - from midsummer onwards remove the lower leaves so as to expose the crown.
            In late september draw soil around the swolen stem bases.

HTH, sorry no direct experience, this is my first year at allotment...
            notmilk

Comment

very usefull, thank you. 96 is not a lot when you think of slug losses and poor performers. Besides I feel compelled to fill the space. Watery one bit takes the time of watering bigger bit and then I'll give away surplus veg at work or get donations for next yr's seed fund
              adam
              Digging Doc

Comment

Celeriac

I grow celeriac every year - one of our favourites.
                You are a little late with your seedlings but you could still get a crop.
                They do require a long growing period, Dislike a cold start which will check their growth.
                Start them early in March, and pot on to 3" pots. The bigger the plant you have to put out the better. Plant out end of May. Keep well watered, bearing in mind they are a marsh plant. As the root swells, as mentioned remove the lower leaves to expose the root and give you a smooth larger root.
                The tender top leaves can be used as celery for adding flavour.
                Use from late Sept/Oct onwards and if weather is bad lift and store in dry shed.
                They will thrive in the semi-shade of crops such as runner beans.

Delicious and very versatile veg. if you like the flavour of celery.

Beryl.

Comment

thye were started indoors in March but just haven't shot on well, they are in individual cells in greenhouse now, should I transfer them to final bed?
                  Digging Doc

Comment

Celeriac

Adam,

As you have so many I would pot some up and plant some out.
                    If those planted fail you will still have plants growing stronger to replace.

Best of luck.
                    Beryl.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X