Will this frost ever go away!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this frost ever go away!

Everytime I think it's nealy time to start planting my seeds outside, I get a big frost over night. Grrrrr....

Too impatient to wait Oh well, at least the garlic and shallots are coming up well. No sign of jerusalem artichokes yet through.

Steven
    http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

That's Spring for you! Little monkey it is.

Comment

Nerobot,

Would you consider sowing some small amount of seeds indoor by the windowsill ? by doing so you won't get too annoyed by cold weather and when it is no longer freezing you could let your seedlings planted. I don't know when is your last frost date, it will help your growing plan by knowing it.
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by nerobot View Post
        Everytime I think it's nealy time to start planting my seeds outside, I get a big frost over night. Grrrrr....

Too impatient to wait Oh well, at least the garlic and shallots are coming up well. No sign of jerusalem artichokes yet through.

Steven
        Plenty time yet - I have thousands of young plants to grow for local garden centres as well as about 12,000 onion sets & 500 shallots to plant out, my 25kg of JA's have literally just arrived at my front door, and I have about 100,000 young plants to start for myself as well as direct sowings of peas, broad beans, spring onions and carrots to do not forgetting my 200kg of seed potatoes.
        There is no point in trying to take on Mother Nature - I did last year and it's 1-0 to her !!
        The sun is shining here today but I can't do anything as I have to look after our 2 month old daughter this afternoon ! (But family is one of the main reasons I went self employed to begin with, so I'm not complaining )
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Rat
          Well, that's certainly put my frustrations into perspective!!!

Sue

Comment

Just looked at the forecast for this coming Saturday..... 6c by day -1c by night!!! here we go again!!!!
            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

We had a beautiful spring day y'day, now we have rain again. The forecast is rain all week.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Well this is what I get for complaining about the frost. It's raining so hard there are big puddles in the patch. Good job I know they will go once it stops raining for an hour or so.

Steven
                http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Im really fed up with the weather now. This is my first propper year growing veg (last year was a tester) and I can't wait to sow my seeds outside.
                  I've always been one to complain about the weather, being a northerner its in my blood. But now Im getting into growing my own Im obsessed about it.
                  My windowsills are full of plants ready to be planted out and I have a tin full of seed packets which Im itching to sow.
                  Oh when will the weather change!!!!
                  Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
                    Plenty time yet - I have thousands of young plants to grow for local garden centres as well as about 12,000 onion sets & 500 shallots to plant out, my 25kg of JA's have literally just arrived at my front door, and I have about 100,000 young plants to start for myself as well as direct sowings of peas, broad beans, spring onions and carrots to do not forgetting my 200kg of seed potatoes.
                    There is no point in trying to take on Mother Nature - I did last year and it's 1-0 to her !!
                    The sun is shining here today but I can't do anything as I have to look after our 2 month old daughter this afternoon ! (But family is one of the main reasons I went self employed to begin with, so I'm not complaining )
                    After reading this and feeling quite faint, think I will keep my mouth shut lol
                    Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

for those complaining about the weather, i'm no expert but here's what i reckon: metcheck.com says that next week is gonna be another cold snap. If you look around (certainly where i am, Manchester), it feels like nature is sort of getting ready to grow like the blazes, but holding itself in check a bit. I reckon, and i could be wrong, that next week's cold snap will be the last severe one - i'm not saying no frost till the autumn, just.. not as bad as it has been the last few weeks.

and i'm heartily fed up with it too! stop start stop start.. make yer mind up, momma nature, and git goin!

keth
                      xx

Comment

Personally, I hate the persistant winds, every other week we seem to get gales.
                        A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
                        There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

I know the feeling.........depressing weather........maybe our growing seasons are going to start later and later and extend later into the year? Maybe this is global warming and MAYBE we shall still be sitting here in 2 weeks moaning!
                          Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

It's not the frost down here (we've only had a few, and two days of snow) but the persistent rain that is holding everything back.

Comment

Hi

Maybe its a question without an answer, but when do you start to worry?

My seedlings at home, are quite sheltered, so, if the temp is -1, that is ok.
                              But down on the lottie it is more exposed, I only have potatoes in so far, they are just peeping through.
                              Need to put my onion sets in this week.

T

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X