No announcement yet.

Will this frost ever go away!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your onion sets wil be absolutely fine left to their own devices as they are really bombproof, and although the frosts may scorch your potatoes, they shoud recover - you can drape fleece over them if you wanna be ultra safe though.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was thinking the weather was improving. Down my way, it has been lovely warm Spring weather yet holding off planting off most veggies as you never know. I need a Polytunnel !
      Food for Free

Comment

Things are no better down here in sunny Sussex, Have a greenhouse full of plants spoiling for want of setting out. Still have not managed to get early spuds in as new allotment(destination potato) is sodden. Managed to drag the cultivator through at the weekend but can't rotavate, rake out and apply the mypex. It's just great clods of couch ridden mud. The weather forecasters seem to change their mind daily.

Nevermind, The old lottie and veg beds at home seem to be improving for a little wind and sun so I'm going to set out and fleece up what I can and sow a load more in the greenhouse.

Comment

Don't you think we are all getting a little bit too impatient ? I have noticed (having bee a shepherd in a previous llife) that lambs are now being born in general, about three weeks earlier than they were ten or even twenty years ago - because the farmers want to cash in on the premium paid for new lamb. Fair enough, but losses due to hypothermia are also considerably higher, as are feed costs.
          I think we are heading the same way and are maybe trying too hard to get the jump on old Mama Nature. I know most of my fellow grapes are considerably further south than I am, and that you maybe can get a bit of a jump on myself, Birdie Wife and Jennie et al, but remember, it's not a race ! It's supposed to be fun - and I still look at it that way even when it's now my livelihood. If I wasn't having an absolute ball every day, even in the rain, hail, sleet, gales etc I wouldn't do it - I'd go back to my nice cosy office job (actually that's a lie - I would never go back to an inside career). Sure I get hacked off and sometimes even a wee bit stressed out but what the hell - there's always tomorrow !
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

They're forecasting sleet/snow for Sunday - this is Dorset for heaven's sake!

Comment

Hi

For my area, the BBC weather site, gives nought degrees as the forecast for sat/sun night.

T

Comment

It gets to this time of year when it's supposed to be Spring - and it isn't - that you just get so fed up with being bundled up in heavy clothing, wading through mud, waiting and waiting for the bad weather to end, jobs piling up, we just need some sun!

Yesterday I was up on the allotment sitting in the shed peering out at the rain very glumly and then about 11am it stopped, the sun came out and it was warm and I cheered up right away. Still clogged up with mud and couldn't plant out but plenty else to do so a bit of good weather and we'd all feel happier...

Sue
                Run out of windowsills, greenhouse and coldframe space...

Comment

I'm sure it's getting better. The greenhouse is holding enough daytime heat not to need the heater at night, except for real frost. The difference between the insulated ghouse and polytunnel was 5 degrees C last night.

Realistically, we're not out of the woods here until May - I know I'm in Kent, but we're in a frost pocket and it shows! The rain is a pest - the veg plot often gets flooded - but I've gone for raised beds all round this year in order to cope with the worst of it.

From last year's records I can see that later sowings caught up with the 'optimistic' February ones, so I am not too stressed. Good job realy,as I managed to knock over a pot of cauli seedlings yesterday and will have to start those again ...
                  Last edited by kentvegplot; 02-04-2008, 07:17 AM.
                  Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

18 degrees forecast this way tomorrow! Chuffin typical that they have also forecast plummeting temperatures (down to around 8 in the day) and snow for the weekend!

*shakes big fist*
                    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Of course it's going to be frosty...I announced I was putting my spuds in this weekend!!!
                      Max 4C min 0C for us!!!!!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well it's definate the weather is infact balmy. Me and the kids had t-shirts on this morning on the way to get the newsagents and now its snowing. Barking!
                        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

Feeling Smug

Thankfully I put fleece on the tender vegetables yesterday.

I'm feeling smug as the 2" of snow slowly melts.

When I lift the fleece will the plants be crushed or wilted? I'll let you know.

Comment

FROST ??? I wake up this morning, to find 4" of snow. This is not heard of in the far south, not for bl@@min decades. Hope me peas are ok
                            "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X