leggy tomatillos

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leggy tomatillos

OK, first timer with tomatillos- sown 6 weeks ago in module in propagator and now a looking a little neglected and leggy.

What do I do with them next? Pot them on deep like tomatoes? when can I set them out in green house border?

Are they only going to fruit outside? How tough are they? How big do they get? and can I cloche some outside? if so when?

Sorry 20 questions!

Paul,

I am afraid I won't be much help here but I am growing tomatillo too (purple one).
    They are around 15cm now, I did plant it deeper and it seems ok with this treatment, mine are forming flower buds and 1 yellow flower is in bloom since yesterday (is it normal ?). They are still by the windowsill as I don't have any green house to offer them . I will be waiting for any extra info of your tomatillo .
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Streuth...no flowers here momol..your doing better than me on your windowsill! I'm potting them on today. Did you stake yours?

PS mine purple too I think
      Last edited by Paulottie; 31-03-2008, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I didn't stake mine yet, they are pretty sturdy on it's own, will do it if it start to grow bigger/taller (and flimsy). I am not sure what to do with it as it is new to me. Will keep it inside until around May (if possible) or perhaps will harden it (but take it in during night). I will try to resize the picture and post it here, the flower is pretty .
        Do you have picture of yours ?

Comment

I managed to resize 1 picture here it is...
          Enjoy .
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Momol ...I guess mine might beef up a bit with some more space etc.
            Slightly embarrasing and spindly seedlings (4 or five true leaves)to be posting a photo!!!!
            Last edited by Paulottie; 31-03-2008, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I'm probably going to sow mine tomorrow night - last year it was mid April so I'm slightly earlier. They grew on well before planting outside after the frosts. Needed supports but produced quite a good crop and would have managed more if the frost hadn't got them in late October. Grew green ones last year but have purple ones also this time - don't know if they are any different other than the colour.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I am taking my tomatillo plants (together with tomatoes,peper and chilies) out this morning and let them enjoy the fresh air and sunshine (will take them in tonight).
                I noticed that my tomatillo are actually around 19 to 20cm tall with 14 to 16 leaves (sorry, I didn't have a look at that time, just assumed 15cm).There are 2 more flowers about to bloom. I also spotted miniture flower buds on 2 of my toms...Yippie .

Comment

Hi all, i grew these tomatillos last year (the purple ones). They grew about three foot tall. They need to be staked up as the stem can snap quite easily. I kept two in the greenhouse and the rest outdoors. I got a really good crop from the ones indoors but not as good with the ones outside. In the beginning when the flowers started forming i thought i was going to get a great supply of fruit but they kept dropping off until i got a feather and started pollinating them myself. After that they were fine. I assume this was because thdre were no bees coming into the greenhouse to do the job. Good luck.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                    Hi all, i grew these tomatillos last year (the purple ones). They grew about three foot tall. They need to be staked up as the stem can snap quite easily. I kept two in the greenhouse and the rest outdoors. I got a really good crop from the ones indoors but not as good with the ones outside. In the beginning when the flowers started forming i thought i was going to get a great supply of fruit but they kept dropping off until i got a feather and started pollinating them myself. After that they were fine. I assume this was because thdre were no bees coming into the greenhouse to do the job. Good luck.
                    Many thanks for the hand pollination info Bramble . I haven't hand pollinate mine, as it is still early but might do it later (when they are planted out) I plan to grow them outdoor.

Comment

Thanks folks, good advice...I've potted mine on now and although they still look a bit lanky, I'm sure they will come on..still jealous of your flowers Momol. Sound like I'd be best growing them outside then...which pleases me. If you managed to get a good crop last year they must be fairly tough then.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
                        Thanks folks, good advice...I've potted mine on now and although they still look a bit lanky, I'm sure they will come on..still jealous of your flowers Momol. Sound like I'd be best growing them outside then...which pleases me. If you managed to get a good crop last year they must be fairly tough then.
                        Your tomatillo will get to the blooming stage too, give it some time .
                        All the best ! Meanwhile, we should be looking for some tomatillo recipe (salsa or sauce or any suitable cooking) and hope that we like the taste .

Comment

You don't need to pollinate them outside, I certainly didn't last year. Also have a fab salsa verde recipe which I used last year for Mexican cookery which I will post when I'm near the book.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X