New to the Game

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Game

Hi all. I'm new here, but also new to the world of the green finger too. Any advice you can give me would be more than welcome.

I've recently acquired an allotment which is nice and local and in pretty good shape. The previous tenant (is that the right term in this case?) has unfortunately passed away, but has always tended to the plot diligently and, despite being a little overgrown, it shouldn't take too much work to turn around.

As I'm new, my plot is fairly small compared to some of the other allotments(around 15' x 10' for a guess), but I'm keen to get started. Apart from clearing the overgrown plants from last year, the only major challenge is that half of the plot is dominated by a large fruit cage. Within are a healthy assortment of blackcurrants, raspberries, gooseberries and strawberries. However, I'm more interested in growing veg, so I now have the task of clearing these from inside the cage. Not a problem per se, but I don't like the thought of uprooting some perfectly good plants!

Now the gentleman who administrates the site has asked me to keep the cage if possible, even if I don't want to grow fruit (he's explained the benefits of the cage for stopping birds digesting my produce). So I need to plan my plot in the best way to take advantage of this feature.

As for the veg itself, mostly standard stuff: potatoes, carrots, peas, broccoli, onions, garlic. Maybe mushrooms if that's possible? I have a nice supply of comfrey for composting purposes, and access to a shared shed and herb garden.

So, any suggestions for how to get started?

Sounds like you're already off to a great start! Welcome to the vine!
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Firstly, you might want to wash your finger if it's going green. Could be dangerous!

Welcome aboard. I too am new to all this and have found this site to be invaluable, so there's tip number one.

Other than that, I'd just say get started, do a bit at a time and you'll soon be chugging along nicely. I'm like you, with more of a leaning toward vegetables than fruit, but I think that the fruit cage will prove it's worth, especially when plants are young and susceptible to pigeon attack.

There will be others along soon to impart more useful advice I'm sure, but that's my two penneth.

Oh, and add your location to your profile so "locals" can advise on what's good in the area.

Good luck.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

You could try and dig up the fruit bushes and see if anyone else on site wants them or pot them up and see if they survive it may be better than composting themas fruit bushes cost quite abit. You may soon be bitten by the growing bug like the rest of the people on here - Good Luck

Comment

Sounds like you got yourself a nice little plot there! I would use the fruit cage to grow broccoli and dwarf peas/beans in your first season, as pigeons love the new leaves of these plants. Potatoes and onions should be safe outside - birds sometimes pull up new onion sets and garlic bulbs out of curiosity, but they don't often eat them.
          Last edited by Eyren; 02-04-2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Helo QD and welcome.
            I would leave the fruit where it is for this year and concentrate on the rest of the plot, then you will have fruit and veg your first year, year 1 is the biggest learning curve and by next year you will have a much better idea of what you want and where.
            good luck
            Yo an' Bob
            Walk lightly on the earth
            take only what you need
            give all you can
            and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the advice, guys. I'll keep you updated with how I'm getting on.

Comment

Welcome to the vine QuakeDisruptor. Yoanbob's advice is very good.

Take advantage of crop this year the time to move things is after they have croped anyway. You will be able to swap the produce for something you do want I assure you...others will be jealous.

Sounds like you've got a 1/2 plot there maybe 6 Rods...you know how rent is calculated?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X