An asparagus experiment.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An asparagus experiment.

As our local Tesco is selling unwins asparagus crowns (4 for £2.99) that are every bit as good as ones bought via T&M two years ago, and I needed 6 to fill in gaps where we lost a few to last years deluge, I bagged 2 packets.

Now, that left me with 2 crowns over and not wanting to waste them, I have planted them individually in a 25L plastic drum (ex oil). Not content with that I have just got 2 packets more to bring the asparagus in a big pot experiment up to 10. The drums have handles on the top so they can be moved about easily.

Time will tell how well they work but hope fully I will be able to bring a few barrels on a bit earlier by putting them in the tunnel just after Christmas.

What variety are they PW?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Mmm... interesting experiment Piggie, it'd be brilliant if it works!
      Of course not knowing the variety, you'll not be knowing if they're male or female till they start cropping either....
      So when exactly should they start cropping for you under cover?

Comment

They are conovers collosal Manda, as for when Wellie, just a bit earlier if I put them in the tunnel from January hopefully.

Comment

Piglet, I planted asparagus crowns last year and they did very little but did appear, this year they have not shown a shoot yet. Do you think I should dig them up and replace or is there still hope? (sorry for pinching your thread)
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

No, let them be Shirl. Mine that are in the ground have still to show and to be honest, it is still a bit too early for them.

Comment

I can't see why it wouldn't work (for a while). What loam have you used in these barrels?

(With my pessimistic Devil's advocate hat on)....I think the challenge will be keeping this loam from going sour/getting worked out. It will be tricky to replace all, or part of it, without major disturbance to the then established crowns. The rewards of asparagus growing lie in the long term gains after the initial considerable effort. You can normally expect your bed to go on for 25 years with minimal input once established. Your drums of course will be constantly relying on you for food and water hereafter and with, I suspect, a reduced life expectancy.

Against this of course; you may indeed have the advantage of being able to force it and could be eating fresh asparagus before the rest of us. To save exhausting these crowns you will then be able to start on your traditional bed; while moving these to their summer residense and letting them go to fern.

Comment

I agree with David Shirl...Leave them be. While most of the main bed is going strong there are always a few lazy ones. The small bed at home with connovers hasn't even shown a spear(although they are really deep anyway). Young plants are also slower to show. As long as you have not buried them 2' down and they have not been sitting in water all winter they'll be up.

Comment

Are We Early Then?

We've been eating our Connover's Colossal since 19th April, when moggssue came to stay, probably because I stuck a tent cloche over it's bed a while ago me thinks? I've taken it off now to get some rain on, and because I wanted to plant some Little Gem Lettuces around the edge. It's its' third year, so we're allowed to have as much as we like.....mmm!

Comment

No I don't think so Wellie ..its me! The bed with CC's here is now behind a greenhouse and next to a privet hedge, Much of the spoil from the greenhouse was chucked on there and they have been generally abused, forgotten and are deep down. I was quite surprised the few crowns left kept going but we had some late but massive spears from them last year or two...depressingly some of the best flavoured of the year against the fancy pampered bed of Dutch hybrids at the lottie

The main bed normally springs into action in March. This year I put a fleece over for a bit to stop the badgers digging about(now has electric fence HA! that'll teach them) and also because if the sun rises on a frosted spear it damages the tips.

Comment

Thanks folks, they were planted exactly at the depth advised by Dr Hessayon (yes I was a little anal about the 'sparagus bed - even if it is only 6 crowns) and totally as per instructions. It is the only bit of garden that I have managed to keep totally weed-free. I was expecting activity by now and thought they must have died, but if others have no-shows then I will wait patiently for a bit longer.
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Mine are not showing yet either... up here in sheffield it is a bit cold still though.

I did sprinkle the beds with rock salt over winter which killed the annual's, but will it have (contrary to old wives tales) have killed the aparagus too...?

Comment

My Hubby bought me some asparagus crowns from Tescos at the bargain price of 10p a pack.Don't know a lot about asparagus except that I love eating it but according to Joy Larkom Creative Gardening they don't necessarily need a designated bed,so I've put mine at the back of raised bed amongst other veg.Now need to wait and see if bargain comes to anything.
                          Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Originally posted by craigpugh View Post
                            Mine are not showing yet either... up here in sheffield it is a bit cold still though.

I did sprinkle the beds with rock salt over winter which killed the annual's, but will it have (contrary to old wives tales) have killed the aparagus too...?
                            I do put salt on the beds. And so do many commercial growers... about an ounce per square yard. It is not an old wives tale and asparagus originated on the salt marshes. It is however something you do on established beds really.

The only thing that kills them is rot. I expect they'll be up.

Comment

Well, I now have two tiny shoots. They are about an inch high and really thin - same as last years. Is there anything I can do to give them a boost? They were top dressed with blended farmyard manure last autumn and then again a month or two ago. I am really disappointed. Mind you, I bought another two crowns (Connover's Colossal) from Woolworth yesterday for a whole 25p so I have some more for replacements if required. I intend putting these in 10 litre flower buckets for now with multi-purpose compost and blended farmyard manure.
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X