'trailing habit'

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'trailing habit'

I'm growing butternut squash for the first time and was reading some instructions, but what does a 'trailing habit' mean?
    Last edited by delnel; 03-04-2008, 07:22 PM.

It means that it goes everywhere. If you don't provide it with any support it will spread over quite a large area of the ground. I tend to train mine onto some trellis so they don't take up so much room. There are advantages and disadvantages with both, ones on the ground look after themselves and stop moisture loss from the soil but take up a lot of space and the fruits are prone to slug damage. Ones trained upwards take up less space but obviously need more effort and the fruits can need to be supported as you can end up breaking the stems if they get too heavy.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks
      I'm growing all my veg in pots as we are renting our house and can't plant in to the ground. So I might try some on a trellis and some on the ground just to see which works best.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X