tomatoe leaves wilting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomatoe leaves wilting

can anyone tell me please why the leaves on my tomatoe plants are wilting .its only at the end of the lower leaves the top ones are fine up to now many thanks if you can help me

I've just got a similar problem.

I've never experienced it before - the lower leaves are going soft and dying off. Very odd. They are slightly pale, as I might expect as the nutrients are being used up in the pot, but are certainly not healthy.

I plan to pot them up into some new compost and keep them away from the other tomatoes.

Mine are Rosada, an F1 type. I grew them last year without problems. They are about 8 weeks old and growing in the same place and in the same compost as all the others.

Comment

mine look healthy enough but its just the end part of the leaves that are wilting hope yours get better i got 8 also[moneymaker]and they are all the same just different sizes for some reason it all new to me first time trying to grow toms

Comment

The first leaves of one or two of mine wilted as well, but the rest of the plant looks ok, so....
        All at once I hear your voice
        And time just slips away
        Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I have "removed" mine now - a sad moment for every gardener

I suspect they have some kind of virus and I really don't want it to spread.

It's a shame, but I have plenty more plants of different varieties and I can still sow some more.

Muckdiva - don't worry too much unless it continues to spread up the plant like mine seemed to be doing.

Comment

I think I have come up with a diagnosis for my particular tomato problem and the good news is that it isn't contagious...

OEDEMA

appears as small blisters which form on the lower surface of the leaf. Over time the blisters may harden to form white or brown corky areas. As injury continues, leaves turn yellow and droop and fall off. Plants become spindly and growth ceases.

It is most prevalent in the late winter during extended periods of cool, cloudy weather (that'll be March 2008, then!!!). It is likely to develop when the soil is warm and moist and the air is cool and moist. Roots take up water faster than it can be used by the plant or transpired through the leaves.

Conditions for oedema to occur are most likely in greenhouses or indoor situations.

Basically, overwatering and low light are to blame.

Keep plants on the dry side and improve air flow.

Affected plants may recover once more favourable conditions arrive in spring and summer.

Oh well, that's knowledge a day too late for the plants I chucked out yesterday

Comment

hi cute cumber thanks for that info i think [hope]thats my problem i will not water them for a couple of days see wat happens thanks again keep me informed how yours get on

john

Comment

its me again did you chuck all your plants away ?
                i would hate it if i had to now .its my first time trying to grow them .and i thought i was doing realy well. but i suppose thats the joys of gardening .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X