New Veg Patch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Veg Patch

This is probably a daft quesition but I would appreciate the advise!

My odd job man has made me a fairly basic patch divided into 4 sections, thing is he just plonked lots of compost over the existing muddy grassy section without doing much work to the existing compost underneath! I just wondered if this would cause me problems with weeds/grass etc?

I have only grown toms and green pepperd in containers before but have moved to a house with a big garden so have a adequate plot for my patch.

There are potatoes on the left siide and brocolli and green bean plants on the other side, the last section will be for the top plants when they are a bit bigger to plant out side. I will post a pic later today and would really appreciate any advice as I am not really experienced and would be heartbroken if they aall died~!!

Thanks in advance guys

What sort of advice are you thinking of?

there won't be a problem with plonking compost over an existing section, unless there are perennials like dandelion and you can pull those out as you go.

I would do some research on this forum for each crop that you want to grow and take it from there.

Comment

When we made our new veg beds this year, all we did was to cut the grass very short then just covered it all in compost.
      The grass is now dead and is adding to the goodness of the soil beneath the compost.

We did have the odd blade of grass pop up but we just picked them out.

Comment

Andrea is right, perennial weeds a problem...so if it was couch grass it will be back! It is more usual to strip and stack turf upside down for use as topsoil later. Then break up the compacted ground and after mulch with compost. You won't kill the spuds anyhow and they are traditionally the thing to grow in new beds as their cultivation is excellent at breaking up. Brassicas like very firm planting... so broccoli should be ok but will need some protection from pests.

Really you need a basic book...The Veg and Herb Expert is a good choice. We will all talk you through it on here but it would help us if the questions are more specific and if you add a rough location to your user CP (at the top left -green task bar)

Comment

Thanks Guys

I am in Reading, Berkshire. I have that book as a colleague from work got it for me last year, I really need to find it as I have recently moved and misplaced it! Not V clever....

I might extend the patch as there are lots of veges that I would like to plant and am not sure if there is enough room!

Well touch wood they are hardy enough to last this snow and sleet spell.

I will keep you all updated and and let you know of my trials of keeping the dogs and chickens away from the patch! I will post a pic tomorrow now

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X