No announcement yet.

100s and 1000s tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got these plants, I can't really compare them to other varieties because this is my first year growing veg and although I grew regular tomatoes (I think the seeds came with the GYO mag) they haven't ripened.

Anyway, I like the 100s and 1000s. I grew them in the greenhouse and once the first tomatoes riped I got a bowl of them every day (between the 3 plants). They're still going but I don't think the plants willl last much longer, they look pretty lethargic now!

I thought they'd be cherry tomatoes but they're not, they're about half that size. They've got a really good flavour though. I'm considering saving seed but I don't know if they're F1 plants or not, if someone could give me a definitive answer it'd be much appreciated!

Comment

I saw some of these seeds yesterday at Fermoy's Garden centre Ipplepen just outside Newton Abbot. I thought about getting some so will probably get some next Friday ( pay day ) if anyone wants me to get them some pm me I dont know how much they are.
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

I got a packet of seeds from the Suttons stand at Hampton Court Flower Show. Only eight seeds in a pack marked at £2.85 so I suspect they're F1s. They were selling them for less than £2.85 at the show, but it'd be too late for next year's sowing to get them from the next Hampton court show

Comment

I bought these and they grew and flowered fine - had lots and lots of little green tomatos...

However only a few ripened - probably because of the rubbish weather but those that did ripen weren't very nice - far too bitter! Not sure I would bother again - had some delicious cherry tomatos off another plant (will investigate!) and will probably stick with them next year (although the other plant succumed to the dreaded blight so mainly I have delicious green tomato chutney!)

HTH!

Comment

I too saw some seeds for 100s & 1000s at my local garden centre up here in Cupar, East Fife. Didn't check the price, or how many there were in the
            packet, but the point is they're probably easily available in a garden centre
            near you right now. . . I assume. . .

What does F1 mean, by the way. . . ?

Reckon I'll try them again though, from seed this time, and in a slightly
            less windy spot (not easy!!). Probably try 'Tumbling Toms' as well,
            and I'm going to have a go at those yellow ones that look like pears. . .

. . anyone know if they're nice. ?

Comment

I bought some seeds of 100s and 1000s to try next year, couldn't resist, they look so productive! I hope they taste good!
              http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Where did you get the seeds from? I'm really interested in trying these next year too
                My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

My seeds were from my local Dobbies (they had a stand with flashing lights advertising 100s and 1000s!), I'm sure I've seen the in other garden centres too (not sure where tho'!).

Comment

Yep got mine in the local garden center this weekend ! 2.85 for 8 seeds !!

Comment

i bought some to try next season, we shall see.
                      Vive Le Revolution!!!
                      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by welshgirl78 View Post
                        I bought these and they grew and flowered fine - had lots and lots of little green tomatos...

However only a few ripened - probably because of the rubbish weather but those that did ripen weren't very nice - far too bitter! Not sure I would bother again - had some delicious cherry tomatos off another plant (will investigate!) and will probably stick with them next year (although the other plant succumed to the dreaded blight so mainly I have delicious green tomato chutney!)

HTH!
                        That's what I found, loads of green toms and a few that ripened were OK. But I grew them in hanging baskets, I had forgotten the tyranny of watering, even with the summer we had they were always drying out. (I used water retaining gel and put a large disc of plastic on the bottom to try and help). I may try tomatoes again next year but they have been so disappointing - I have to grow them outside because I don't have a greenhouse,
                        Nell

Comment

Originally posted by nelliegemini View Post
                          That's what I found, loads of green toms and a few that ripened were OK. But I grew them in hanging baskets, I had forgotten the tyranny of watering, even with the summer we had they were always drying out. (I used water retaining gel and put a large disc of plastic on the bottom to try and help). I may try tomatoes again next year but they have been so disappointing - I have to grow them outside because I don't have a greenhouse,
                          I hope it was just the weather last year, I'm looking forward to eating little tomatoes. I don't have a greenhouse either, so I'll be growing in a hanging basket too. I'll have to remember to water them loads I guess! I was going to grow other tomatoes in the garden too, but planted on my veg plot - I really hope they work!!

Comment

Originally posted by nelliegemini View Post
                            I have a cunning plan for mine.
                            flower buckets, with the bottoms drilled, and stacked on top of each other to create a 'tower', takes up little space on patio cos its all vertical.
                            it will probrably fail dismally, but, the buckets were free from the co-op, and its one packet of seeds.
                            will still have to water like a maniac, but i am working on a water retention idea.
                            Vive Le Revolution!!!
                            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

i grew these this year and had loads ripen and they were really sweet and as the name suggests i got 100s of them if anyone wants to try some of the seeds i saved, PM me
                              The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
                                i grew these this year and had loads ripen and they were really sweet and as the name suggests i got 100s of them if anyone wants to try some of the seeds i saved, PM me
                                Glad to here they were good and you had 100s of them! Looking forward to planting and picking mine!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X