No announcement yet.

Runner Vs. Climbing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not complaining that they're stringy. Just that they are hairy and coarse - even the titchy ones. Don't like that!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery
      .....they are hairy and coarse - even the titchy ones. Don't like that!
      Whereas those Frenchies are sooo refined, ain't they Flum! I also wish to cast two votes for them (didn't know you could do that! )

I preferred Blue Lake for pods and beans, until you've eaten fresh haricot (rather than rehydrated dried ones), then you ain't lived! Yummy!
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 08-04-2008, 01:03 PM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I'm with Flummery! My OH complains that Runners taste "too hairy" and i find them too coarse unless you can keep up with the picking of them. But we both love French Beans and find they're much more tender. i vote frenchies too!
        Jane,
        keen but (slightly less) clueless
        http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

I still recommend those bean stringers from Krisk..Aussie co. Spaghetti's them while taking off the sides. I hate triangles or stringy ones. Two more tips are sow twice April and late June as younger plants give better beans and so extends the season; plus instead of haveing your sticks tied/braced near the top do it half way up the stcks that way the beans hang on the outside not the inside-makes picking them a lot easier. I'm really into 'Celebration' a newer variety with pink flowers and really tender beans. Runners so jolly British-what what. Surely be patriotic if you're pushed!

I do grow French ones too although I usually pick up the seeds in France as I like the string thin ones, but of the British varieties, I grow an early crop of dwarfs under glass(purple queen a good tough early choice). Cobra a good choice of climber(an improved blue lake.) Also grew a flat Frenchy that were pretty good ...name eludes me at the moment.

The argument I suppose for choosing the froggy ones is so that many people grow runners and have a glut you can always swap some of yours in for runners.

Then there are the Italian ones.......doesn't matter how many beans we grow (we have enough space)we blanch and freeze lb's and lb's of them. Such a productive crop to choose.

Comment

Defo prefer the French ones to Runners, much more tender and less hassle to prepare. Am growing 3 different types this year and not bothering with any Runners, usually grow a few but neither of us are that fussed and they're just taking up valuable crop space. However, if you're really not sure you can always grow half and half.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I vote for French too. Those nice flat ones that I can't remember the name of either, Paulottie. Also doing Cherokee Trail of Tears, and Coc sophie from Real Seeds this year. And have to own up to having another go with runners. Lady Di which are meant to be stringless. But it really is the last time unlesss they're really stringless. I can never keep ahead of them and even when I think they;ll be ok, a stray stringy one will sneak though. blegh, fibre bits in your teeth

Comment

french here too, growing blue lake this year, tried cobra last year and they were excellent, really prolific. also grew a dwarf yellow variety from real seeds which I wasn't so keen on as they became stringy. don't like runner beans at all, just don't like the texture. so, french beans get my vote.

Comment

i'm with french on this as i don't like runner beans , i'm still growing them this year for a friend and it's also the compatition veg selected by the association and so i'm growing ( enorma ) from kings seeds.
                  The french beans i'm growing are greenpod ( yard long ) borlottie ( red and white ) and a yellow bean , plus broad beans
                  ---) CARL (----
                  ILFRACOMBE
                  NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I was only going to bother with Blue lake this year. Then I started looking and now have Butter Beans (thanks again Crichmond), Blue Lake, Franchi seeds Anellino Giallo (yellow shrimp shaped) and Borlotto Lingua Di Fuoco (climbing). Now where on earth will I put that lot....
                    si'sraisedbed

Comment

Got very bored of growing 'Enorma' Carl, stringy tough things. Good for the show -not the table.

Comment

That's good as i only want them for the compatition not for eating
                        ---) CARL (----
                        ILFRACOMBE
                        NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X