Butter beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butter beans

Thanks to Crichmond I now have some butter bean seeds which arrived this morning. Thank you v much.

When should these be planted, how deep, and do they climb like french / runners or are they dwarf? Variety is Spagna. Also can I sow now or should I wait a bit?
    si'sraisedbed

Treat them like runners - sow late, plant after frost, allow to climb.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

glad you got them ok.

the packet says:
      These beans require a minimum soil temperature of 20c, so seed sowing must be delayed until these conditions prevail, usually from may in succession to july. Earlier sowings can be made in march and april under glass for earliest crops. Prepare the soil prior to sowing to create a level, weed free bed. Plant seed in rows 90cm apart with seed stations every 40cm in the rows. Using a dibber place 3-4 seeds at each station 3-5cm deep.
      Cover with soil and firm. Water regularly after sowing and throughout the cropping period. Supporting poles, canes or netting, at least 180cm tall should be in place before sowing. Continually pick the beans before they become too large and coarse. mulching between rows with straw will conserve moisture and surpress weeds.

Cheers Chris

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X