Broad beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad beans

I have just been to my allotment and noticed some of the flowers on my broad beans have gone black almost like they have burnt, is this frost damage ? they were planted as seeds last autumn and are quite big.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

There is quite a lot of black colouring on broad bean flowers anyway and they do naturally shrivel up after they have finished flowering. It may just be this. Usually I find it is the leaves that go black if they are badly frosted.

Just keep your eye on them, they'll probably be fine.

Comment

hI jackie

I have three double rows of beans. I have noticed them black also as this is the first time i have grown them,but i think this not a problem and you will get nice pods of beans.

Please let me know how you get on,they should be ready mid June

Danny

Essex Boys

Comment

Essex boys I will let you know. What part of essex are you presuming the name means you are from essex?
        and ends with backache

Comment

Rainham , our plot is in Hornchurch Essex

Comment

When the flowers shrivel and turn black, it means they're turning into beans. Yippee !
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

a fair few of my autumn sown Suttons are turning black - don't panic Mr. Mannering, they'll be good
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

Essex boys I asked because I have a cousin in chelmsford and spent many school hols in South-end at my nans
                and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X