Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Container sizes for onions/carrots...

Hi All,

Any idea as to what container size (depth and diameter) I would require to successfully grow onions and carrots in my greenhouse? Also, could you also please let me know which variety of onions and carrots you are referring to so I could purchase similar seeds

Sorry newbie here and I guess this year would be my experimental year

Hi
    At least you have a greenhouse! the funny thing is that neither carrots or onions really need one.

But, back on the subject.

I grew all my first year's veg in plastic containers; I used various sizes.

I grew carrots in the deep recycle container style ones, plus I also grew some broccoli in those at the same time. Anything more than twice the depth of the carrot you want to grow will probably be ok. Once the broccoli was done, i removed the main stalk and let the carrots continue.

Onions need space around them to grow, so I used flat storage boxes, and put I think 15 in each. They were about 6 inches deep and about 18 inches by about 2 foot wide.

Varieties; all different sorts - I am loathe to recommend any as I have different tastes to most [my fave carrots are the yellow ones not the usual orange]. But you can't go wrong with starting off with whatever is in your local shop; then you know the locals are probably growing them as well.

If you can pop your location into your profile, then people from the same region as you can probably give you better advice.

Comment

With crops like carrots and onions you are much better to grow them in open ground. Why do you want to grow them in containers? Is it because you have no open ground, or are you looking for earlier crops?

Comment

i have sown parmex carrot in two large containers in febuary and they are coming on strong,parmex are small rounded carrots so you dont need a really deep container,i am growing onions in my riased beds but i would suggest growin shallots in containers instead
        joanne geldard

Comment

Most of our carrots are going straight in the ground but the kids are growing thier own carrots in 12" square plastic tubs.

We are growing Supreme Chantenay Red Cored. They are intermediates (average length roots) so they don't need deep tubs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X